Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Memory not registering after partition deletion?  (Read 2183 times)

TridentRPG

Topic Starter

Starter

Memory not registering after partition deletion?
    « on: January 22, 2010, 04:27:07 PM »
    My friend brought me his laptop today (Windows Vista) with a problem on deleting a partition. Which wasn't a problem at all since I've never had a problem deleting them on my own Windows XP before. I took the usual route in deleting an unnecessary partition:

Control Panel --> Administrative Tools --> Computer Management --> Storage --> Disk Management --> Right click on partition to be removed --> Delete Partition (or Delete Volume in Vista's case)

The thing that confuses me is that unlike my computer, the memory that should have been transferred to his C: drive from that deleted partition is not registering. I mean, the partition itself is gone, but the properties of his main C: drive are not showing that all that space that he had from the partition are there. He originally had 36 GB total to his C: drive, and 108 GB to the partitioned D: drive. There was absolutely nothing on that drive, he wanted it gone, since it was in fact put on there by some family member, so it wasn't important anyways. I am just wondering why that in the properties of the C: drive, it's not showing that the 108 GB has been added to the C: drives 36 GB. I just don't want all that free space floating around in memory limbo somewhere where he will never be able to store on it or access it again... Any help will be appreciated. Thank you.

~Regards

P.S. And yes, I have restarted the computer.  :P

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Memory not registering after partition deletion?
    « Reply #1 on: January 22, 2010, 04:29:55 PM »
    After deleting a partition the space used is not automatically acquired by the remaining partition(s). You need to do that as a separate action.

TridentRPG

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2010, 04:39:06 PM »
      Will probably need a partitioning program then huh?

Allan

• Mastermind
      « Reply #3 on: January 22, 2010, 04:41:55 PM »
      If it's Vista you should be able to extend the partition with Disk Management. But if you want to use a 3rd party app there are a number of good free ones (Easeus is one).

TridentRPG

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2010, 07:15:19 PM »
        Thank you very, very much for your help. Got it all sorted out.

Allan

• Mastermind
        « Reply #5 on: January 23, 2010, 08:48:23 AM »
        You're most welcome.