Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Domain PC is taking too long to boot up  (Read 2996 times)

zillah

Topic Starter

Beginner

Domain PC is taking too long to boot up
    « on: January 24, 2010, 05:44:08 AM »
    Hi

I have got an active directory environment win2003 server with 10 client PCs windows XP Profe

Client PCs are connected through two small switches to a SnapGear Sg300 router then the router s is connected to ADSL modem.

One PC (out of 10 only this one ,,,,the rest nine no problem)  is taking about 7 minutes to boot ,,,,,please see the snap shot below for its behavior :

http://i47.tinypic.com/2nlbupz.jpg

This is what have been written in the screen above
    Code: [Select]
    Broadcom UND1 PXE-2.1 v8.2.5
    Copyright  ( c )  2000-2005 Broadcom Corporation
    Copyright  ( c ) 1992-2000 Intel Corporation
    All right reserved.
    CLIENT MAC ADDE : 00 13 72 21 83 52  GUID : 44454C4C 4200 104C 8031 C2C04F4C3153
    DHCP…-

Recently I formatted this PC and installed fresh copy if windows XP with all updates still same problem is going on.

What troubleshoot should I carry out  to find out where is the problem ?

Thanks

Hardist

Rookie

Re: Domain PC is taking too long to boot up
      « Reply #1 on: January 24, 2010, 06:16:34 AM »
      Check in the BIOS if this system is booting from it's hard drive first, instead of a network boot. Also, when it has been booted, does it have a conection to the network without any problems?

zillah

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2010, 01:53:15 PM »
        Check in the BIOS if this system is booting from it's hard drive first, instead of a network boot.
        I will check that and see

when it has been booted, does it have a conection to the network without any problems?

I did not ge the bold text in the quote above

Thanks

Hardist

Rookie

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2010, 01:55:07 PM »
          Sorry.

If the system boots up onto the desktop in Windows (if it does), does it have any network issues, or does it work fine? You should check the cables and see if there is any issue with it's network connection.

zillah

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2010, 02:22:57 PM »
            If the system boots up onto the desktop in Windows (if it does), does it have any network issues, or does it work fine?
            What happened before formatting it had that issue (it was not getting an ip address) ,,,,,then I thought it was some issue with the OS or some other programs,,,,,,,,,then when I formatted the PC it is working fine , but it takes while to boot.

Hardist

Rookie

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2010, 02:31:32 PM »
              You should simply change the BOOT sequence in the BIOS since it's trying to boot from the LAN. After you've change the BOOT sequence, it should be working fine again.