Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: OEM Reinstall: no original disk or product key (custom built pc)  (Read 3626 times)

snoofy1

Topic Starter

Greenhorn
  • I believe that peace begins with yourself.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Familiar
    hi, a user brought in her older custom-built pc & asked me to reinstall her OS is it was full of viruses, etc. She did not have her installation cd, and no product key or COA sticker either (perhaps the XP Home OEM that’s on there now was an upgrade of an earlier version - I think could have been built before COA stickers were required on side of box). But, in system properties I did find an OEM product key, it is 20 digits long.
    So I began to reinstall XP Home OEM with one of my cd’s and when it got to the screen where it wanted the product key, it wanted a 25 digit product key. At this point I don’t know what to do.
    The shop where the customer had the pc build is out of business and they did not give her any of the cd’s that came with her custom-built pc. What to do? 

More thinking on the subject, I am wondering why there was no sticker on the case. Possibly the shop that built it was not above-board. That being the possible scenario, I am thinking about interrupting the setup process, fdisking, and installing a retail xp version. I would attempt to do this by removing the hard drive and hooking it up to my other pc through an adapter cable, then deleting the os off it. Don’t know if this will work or not. Basically I’m stuck and need some ideas on how to move forward. Thanks very much for your time! 

Product key provided in system properties syntax is as follows:
    (5 #’s – OEM- 7 #’s – 5 #’s) total 20 digits

And the product key syntax it’s requesting is:
    5#’s-5#’s-5#’s-5#’s-5#’s (total 25 digits)

System Specs:
    XP Home 2002 OEM ver 5.1.2600, SP3, build 2600
    MOBO or Chipset Mfgr:  Micro-Star Int’l. Co., Ltd,  MS-7061
    Model  KM 266-8237   X86-based pc
    CPU:  x86 Family 6 Model 8 Stepping 1 Authentic AMD 1400 MHz (AMD Duron)
    BIOS ver & date:  Phoenix Award Technologies, Ltd., ver. 6.00 PG, 7/28/2004
    SM BIOS ver:  2.3
    RAM: total 1,536 MB:  slot 0 = 1 GB,  slot 1 = 512 MB
    Available physical memory:  1.05 GB
    Total virtual memory: 2.00 GB
    Available virtual mem:  1.96 GB
    Pg file space 3.32 GB
    HD: Western Digital 500 GB

cruisin702

Hopeful

• Yes
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: OEM Reinstall: no original disk or product key (custom built pc)
    « Reply #1 on: January 24, 2010, 09:27:19 PM »
    The product key found in the registry is encrypted.