Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Internet Connectivity Issues (Seeking Advice)  (Read 2568 times)

Habukkuk

Internet Connectivity Issues (Seeking Advice)
« on: January 24, 2010, 08:40:39 PM »

Hello! New to ComputerHope here, but I've heard about this site from somebody I know. I'm hoping you guys could possibly help me out or point me in the right direction.  :D So.. here's the scoop:

My mother got a new laptop as a new-years gift to herself.  The laptop was purchased on a discount, as it was technically considered a 'display' computer. The computer had only been sitting out since the morning (of the day we purchased it) and had been a backlogged item.

When we got the computer home, I changed the registered user information to suit the new rightful owner, my mother, and went to go hook the computer up to the internet. We’ve used dial-up for the last thirteen years and recently switched to wireless. This new laptop, running on Windows 7 Premium, refuses to connect to the wireless network in our home; although the two other computers in the household have no problem. The other computers in the home are a desktop running on ME, and a laptop running on Vista; both are HP and both have no problem connecting.

I’ve searched the internet for similar cases and have seen many people claiming to have the same problems with Windows 7 computers and accessing wireless. This laptop will not connect physically to the router, nor through wireless signals. It *can* and *does* pick up local signals from the neighborhood, including our own, but still refuses to connect. At first, it had issues accepting the password required to connect. Now it says nothing about the password, and simply says it can’t connect.  When I run the troubleshooting option provided, I get a message telling me to : “Investigate router or access point issues.”

It advises me to unplug my device, wait the appropriate ten seconds, and then turn it back on and recheck to see if the problem has been solved. This was probably the first thing I tried, as I’m not very computer savvy (shame on me, sometimes). Any advice out there as to how to get this thing set up? Speak to me as if I’m five, if possible!  ;D