Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Is there a way to check what the correct browser settings are suppose to be?  (Read 8197 times)

AmyR7

Topic Starter

Hopeful
  • Hi Everyone!!
    • Funtrivia
  • Experience: Familiar
Hope it's ok to post again.
Just thought of something to add to the previous post, but don't want to confuse anything more either.
One of the accounts that was messed up when we hit reset is the information for our router.
Things such as the default password is no longer what it should be and the stuff we had changed it to doesn't work either.
So, don't know what to do about that.

Also, what is a referrer id?
That is one of the things that one of our accounts asked for when trying to get it reset.
Then the people who run the site had to get the account working again from their end because we couldn't do it because of not knowing what a referrer id is.

t_blake07

Apprentice
    Ok well it sounds like the settings that you are inquiring about are settings that are very important. Maybe you should have a professional take a look at these in person, before things become more messed up than they already are. Just my opinion.

AmyR7

Topic Starter

Hopeful
    • Hi Everyone!!
      • Funtrivia
    Maybe you should have a professional take a look at these in person, before things become more messed up than they already are.
    Is a repairman not a professional?
    Already tried that several times. Thought we mentioned that in one of the previous posts about the last couple of repairmen we have had over the years. They broke the scanner and printer.
    They also didn't know what a referrer id is either. The last guy we had out didn't know this, and that is one of the accounts we just had to get straightened back out, and just got it fixed by the people who run the site having to do it somehow from their end.
    He also didn't know where to find the bookmarks either. Which we can find with no problems. Don't know why he couldn't find them.
    Someone else we know from Geeks to go(is one of the accounts that got messed up), when we told him about the repairman not knowing where to find the bookmarks, said to have him leave immediately. Which in our case, we didn't know this until after he brought the computer back.

Still don't know what we need to do for our router/internet settings anymore. Since that was so hard for us to get setup in the beginning, and the repairman who set it up for us, not our ISP, because they kept having a debate whether it was a problem with the computer or the equipment, even though we had proved it wasn't a hardware problem, but keep giving us the run around saying that Linksys has to help because of it being a Linksys router. Then they want to try and sell us a different router than we already have and other stuff too that we didn't want or need. But turned out it was due to wiring in the walls. These clips not holding together properly.

t_blake07

Apprentice
      Is a repairman not a professional?
      Already tried that several times. Thought we mentioned that in one of the previous posts about the last couple of repairmen we have had over the years. They broke the scanner and printer.
      They also didn't know what a referrer id is either.

Then no, the repairmen you had look at you computers were not professionals.

I'm sure you will continue to get feedback from people who are willing to help here at Computer Hope, but some things need to be evaluated in person, and it's hard to tell what exactly is going on in your unfortunate situation. Even though it wasn't much, I tried to help. Good luck, and I hope you get it all sorted out.

AmyR7

Topic Starter

Hopeful
      • Hi Everyone!!
        • Funtrivia
      How do we tell if they are professionals or not?
      We looked in the phone book, and it says in their ad that they are Microsoft Certified. 

t_blake07

Apprentice
        How do we tell if they are professionals or not?
        We looked in the phone book, and it says in their ad that they are Microsoft Certified.

Certified means that they have taken courses based on Microsoft's software/programs. It doesn't mean they are professional. I would look for a repairman that has many years of experience, and has the credentials to back it up.

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        Or check with the local College/Graduate schools...see if there is a local PC users group/club...great source of Help/info and referrals for competent techs.
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

AmyR7

Topic Starter

Hopeful
        • Hi Everyone!!
          • Funtrivia
        Do you all also notice that half the time that when you call techs now a days, it seems they are just reading out of some manual?
        Which makes us wonder, how did they manage to pass the tests and get their degrees from college and stuff? Only other thing, I guess if they could be a C or D student, and not all A's and B's.

But the other big things we keep running into is people who are able to help and not help on the problems. Since the product we have is Microsoft Windows XP, and Dell computers, and also Bellsouth/At&t is our ISP. So, for example, we can't call someone who doesn't work on Dell computers. Dell only sends out techs who work on their brand computers.
        One of the companies we were working with for awhile there and who got our internet setup the rest of way and stuff, have been around since the 90's.
        Another example, we also have Mediacom. If a problem, you can't call someone who works at Cox or some other company just because you don't like the repair people they send out.

t_blake07

Apprentice
          Unfortunately, most companies are all about getting the customer rather than supporting them with technical issues. This problem could go on for as long as you let it go on. Try looking online for local PC repair shops. Most should have a website that you can visit and navigate to determine whether or not you would like to give them a shot. I prefer doing that over looking in the phone book. It's so hard to explain things in text form, when the problem could very well be solved or at least diagnosed if someone were there, on your PC, in person. I wish I could help, as does everyone else here i'm sure. You should also think about doing what patio suggested. It could be the cheap route, and still solve your problem.  ;)

AmyR7

Topic Starter

Hopeful
          • Hi Everyone!!
            • Funtrivia
          Try looking online for local PC repair shops. Most should have a website that you can visit and navigate to determine whether or not you would like to give them a shot.
          Because, when the things are under warranty, you have to call the company that sold you the electronics. They deal with all repairs.
          Or at least here they do.
          Yes, they give you a list of companies in your area that deal with repairs on that type of product.
          So, yes, that is who we called, local people in our area.
          We don't have anyone else to call.
          But then if the problem is not with the electronics, but with your ISP/cable companies stuff you are trying to get back working right. Then you have to deal with them too. So, you need someone who can go through the attic and do all the wiring and stuff like that.

At the moment, the only thing we are still looking for is the webpage with the different settings.
          Hang on, here is sort of what I'm talking about, an example http://help.yahoo.com/sbc/tutorials/cg/cg_basics1.html.
          We know how to go through and do so many things on our own with so many things, just need the correct information of what you need to mark and stuff. Is not hard for us to do, but if you don't have the list of what you need to check and not check. Like I said, my brother-in-law, he knows all these things about computers and takes care of the repairs in their house and whenever he can get over here he helps out too. My dad also worked as a computer programmer so would take care of all the stuff too and we learned alot of things. We setup so many things on our own over the years, but like I said, need to have instructions on what to mark and not mark. Just setup our new DVD/VCR Combo Unit we got. Had to put in the settings. Seems like now a days alot of the instructions seem to be online instead of in books/manual.

namdeo_tarun

Rookie

hey u can change the settings to default

AmyR7

Topic Starter

Hopeful
            • Hi Everyone!!
              • Funtrivia
            Just found one of the things we were trying to explain that has happend to us after trying the reset. As you can see, it talks about sites that rely on the previously stored cookies, etc.. may not work anymore. Which is what has happend to us. And we are still trying to get our accounts all straightened back out. That is what we need help with. What do we do now that it says our passwords are not correct anymore? One of the stuff we can't get into anymore is our Router Interface. It says what the default should be, but that does not work anymore either. Some of the accounts we had to get new ones and got charged again because of losing the old ones because of this. One of the other things too that is hard for people to understand is that alot of things that are done automatically by doing this reset stuff, like detecting where you are calling from and stuff when you try to get back into your accounts, does not work right because of the way everything is hooked up. That is why we can't do stuff like that. It's way more complicated, but we do know more what to do since did get it all setup on our own in the beginning and all. My dad was a computer programmer.
            This is what it says:
            "By resetting Internet Explorer settings, you return it to the state it was in when it was first installed on your computer. This is useful for troubleshooting problems that might be caused by settings that were changed after installation. When you restore Internet Explorer's default settings, some webpages that rely on previously stored cookies, form data, passwords, or previously installed browser add-ons might not work correctly. Resetting Internet Explorer to its default settings does not delete your favorites, feeds, and a few other personalized settings. See the table below for a complete list of all settings and information about whether they are reset or maintained."