Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Wireless has unusually slow speed  (Read 22898 times)

EEVIAC

Re: Wireless has unusually slow speed
« Reply #45 on: January 30, 2010, 07:24:30 PM »
Sorry to hear that you believe I only want to bash.
I want to help. No bash.

I did not know she had already read the material on the Dell site about the need for new drivers for that specific laptop using Windows 7. It does not do WEP right without the new drivers. Or that is what I thought it said. My misnake.

I myself don't know if the OP attempted to install drivers from the Dell website or not, either... I just can't see the point of recommending WEP or firewall disabling until we haven't even gotten a confirmation out of her, that she DID try new drivers..  Maybe I shouldn't have assumed she was using the latest drivers, simply because it's a brand new laptop.. Drivers can go outdated by sitting on a shelve for a long time.. But it is a Windows 7 OEM and any laptop with Win7 couldn't have been sitting on a shelf long enough for the drivers to become outdated. Windows 7 OEMs are only a few months old.... Maybe I'm wrong on that... I'm not sure how often driver updates become available...

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #46 on: January 30, 2010, 07:33:44 PM »
I myself don't know if the OP attempted to install drivers from the Dell website or not, either... I just can't see the point of recommending WEP or firewall disabling until we haven't even gotten a confirmation out of her, that she DID try new drivers..  Maybe I shouldn't have assumed she was using the latest drivers, simply because it's a brand new laptop.. Drivers can go outdated by sitting on a shelve for a long time.. But it is a Windows 7 OEM and any laptop with Win7 couldn't have been sitting on a shelf long enough for the drivers to become outdated. Windows 7 OEMs are only a few months old.... Maybe I'm wrong on that... I'm not sure how often driver updates become available...

I don't think geek really means the actual drivers, but more the built in windows 7 services. Don't know if they would be a problem, but I think that is what he means.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

EEVIAC

« Reply #47 on: January 30, 2010, 07:45:52 PM »
I don't think geek really means the actual drivers, but more the built in windows 7 services. Don't know if they would be a problem, but I think that is what he means

hmm, ok

It also doesn't say anything about Linux compatibility, and yet all distros I've tried work too. I must be really lucky to be able to use a standards supporting hardware device with Operating Systems that aren't listed on the box.

BTW.....yes, it's all luck!                That's what all the fine print says, BC.  It's a surprise package deal ! !       There are no common routing standards, anywhere..
What was I thinking  ::)

EEVIAC

« Reply #48 on: January 30, 2010, 08:02:43 PM »
Sorry to hear that you believe I only want to bash.
I want to help. No bash.

btw, geek..  When I used the work "bash" I wasn't only referring this this thread... I remember the first time you *censored* into a thread I posted to, you accused me of overrating a motherboard that I recommend, simply because I said I found "decent" reviews...

There were few other threads where I detected sarcasm directed at myself, for no apparent reason... 

Sue him!

This is clearly, sarcastic

You were in no way sharing my enthusiasm or humor in this instance.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #49 on: January 30, 2010, 09:05:32 PM »
BTW.....yes, it's all luck!                That's what all the fine print says, BC.  It's a surprise package deal ! !       There are no common routing standards, anywhere..
What was I thinking  ::)

your sarcasm detector is broken. Or mine is. I dunno.

btw, geek..  When I used the work "bash" I wasn't only referring this this thread... I remember the first time you *censored* into a thread I posted to, you accused me of overrating a motherboard that I recommend, simply because I said I found "decent" reviews...

There were few other threads where I detected sarcasm directed at myself, for no apparent reason... 

sue him

This is clearly, sarcastic

You were in no way sharing my enthusiasm or humor in this instance.

I'd say he was also joking. At least, common sense dictates he was.

Then again, this is geek-9pm we're talking about, so maybe common sense doesn't apply, hahaha

EEVIAC

« Reply #50 on: January 30, 2010, 10:13:14 PM »
your sarcasm detector is broken. Or mine is. I dunno.

This is an interesting subject.. Maybe my sarcasm detector IS broken. I've been around so much sarcasm in my life that it's difficult to tell the difference.
My father for one, used emotional blackmail on me my whole life, and still tries today and I'm sure that has a lot to do with it..

My in-laws are another good example. When I met them, they constantly brought false accusations against me, taking "low blow" shots whenever possible, and generally attempting to drag me down...  As a matter of fact, I don't talk to them anymore because I cannot get along with them.  I use to have a long list of particular things that they did (even typed up a long text file and burned it to CD so I wouldn't ever loose it or forget why I don't talk to them) but just decided to get rid of it because it just felt like a burden..  When my in-laws claimed to be joking with me, it always seems like some kind of trap.  My father in law invited me out to dinner one night, when I barely knew him, and before we left he asked me if I had money for a tip..  I said, "yes"...But was he joking?  If I say "no", then I'll be criticized by him and his family for not having my "sh**" together, as they did many times..  If I say "yes", then the Joke is on me, and I need to chill out...There's just no way to win, with some people..   My in-laws would always ask me questions in a form that would humiliate me, despite how I answered... This is just one of about 100 incidents I had with them.   They were always asking me about my personal business and finances, as if I had to prove myself to them for some reason...   I got news for you IN-LAWS, it's not going to make a freaken difference whether you approve of me or not, so unless you want to be despised by me the rest of your lives, just shut the *censored* up!  It's been over a year since the last confrontation I had with them and haven't spoken a word to them... Don't plan on it either...   My other good half was talking to her mom on Skype one day and her mother seemed to have problems with slow video.. I eMailed her some suggestions on what she can try to fix it, but it was merely for the sake of my wife being able to have a steady conversion on Skype..

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #51 on: January 30, 2010, 10:28:50 PM »
Actually, that sounds pretty normal for in-laws.

My father in law invited me out to dinner one night, when I barely knew him, and before we left he asked me if I had money for a tip..  I said, "yes"...But was he joking?  If I say "no", then I'll be criticized by him and his family for not having my "sh**" together, as they did many times..  If I say "yes", then the Joke is on me, and I need to chill out...

This sounds to me, more like over-analysis; you assume they are against you, and therefore you are looking for malice on their part. Really, it just sounds like a way of asking you know, wether you can decide on the tip. And if this was a typical "confrontation" well, that just sounds plain silly, to be honest- but, I wasn't there, and don't know either you or these people.

Not quite the same but in a similar vein as  Iwas growing up I never really did get along with my stepfather whom I've known since I was three; whenever something was missing I was automatically accused of stealing it, etc I eventually got used to it, actually. We're cool now though.

also this thread has certainly taken an interesting turn, lol.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #52 on: January 30, 2010, 10:31:39 PM »
BC_Programmer,
It has been noted that some people on this forum do not have common sense.
May I send you a PM? I don't want to do a rant, Just some info I want to share.

EEVIAC

« Reply #53 on: January 30, 2010, 10:44:50 PM »
This sounds to me, more like over-analysis

nah, not over analyzing.. As I said, there is a long list of things I had..  Even after I was married, and this is a very complex story, my mother in law had the police and local protection agencies sent to my house several times because I forbade them from coming over (because my wife had chronic pancreatitis and her mother and other family was always criticizing her, causing us both stress,which made her more sick, not too mention drove me insane)  Mother in Law was basically accusing me of holding my wife hostage...  We almost went to court over the whole thing.. My father who is pretty well-off, sent them a letter threatening to sue, if they didn't stop and stay away..  And Gee, isn't it funny?  My wife was taking 13 different medications at the time I met her for pain management and depression/anxiety... Now she's not taking any... I don't know how much you know about "stress" but it can have some serious ramifications on your body if it is not controlled..

also this thread has certainly taken an interesting turn, lol.

yes it's sort of ironic, first someone needs help with a computer issue, now we need help with our issues..      ;D                

EEVIAC

« Reply #54 on: January 30, 2010, 10:50:00 PM »

It has been noted that some people on this forum do not have common sense.

I'm not sure what to think of this...  Who are you talking about?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #55 on: January 31, 2010, 08:40:12 AM »
re: the original question there is another thing we can try, once we get things back the way they were before all the wireless connections were clobbered; try running a Linux Live CD on the laptop that is having issues, and see if it's slow there as well.

EEVIAC: now that you've fleshed out the in-law stuff I think I see what you mean. The hostage thing takes the cake though!

EEVIAC

« Reply #56 on: January 31, 2010, 08:58:00 AM »
re: the original question there is another thing we can try, once we get things back the way they were before all the wireless connections were clobbered; try running a Linux Live CD on the laptop that is having issues, and see if it's slow there as well.

Hopefully starlight will use the link for going back on the firmware version...  Trying a Linux Live distro is a good idea.. I've got a Knoppix Live CD myself, that I use for isolating some issues.  Sometimes I use it to back up files to a flash drive to rescue data..

EEVIAC: now that you've fleshed out the in-law stuff I think I see what you mean. The hostage thing takes the cake though!

:)   indeed

Moonlight

Starter

« Reply #57 on: February 01, 2010, 10:56:55 PM »
    Hey, sorry for the late reply, was spending the last few days fiddling with my router trying to fix it. Anyway, finally got it to work and the speed is fairly decent now :D
    ofcourse it's slightly slower than being connected to ethernet but it's way better than before. Thanks for helping me out, greatly appreciate it :D

EEVIAC

« Reply #58 on: February 01, 2010, 11:19:10 PM »
    Moonlight.....  I'm sure I speak for others that helped here as well..

How did you fix it?   Do tell!     

Moonlight

Starter

« Reply #59 on: February 02, 2010, 03:23:03 AM »
      well, it's basiclly the firmware  :-X
      apparently the firmware on the linksys website was givng me the probs. Initially my router was using the ver 1.42 firmware, then the router stoped working when i upgraded to ver 1.52. After that i downgraded it to ver 1.50 with the one you provided me and everything started working again, plus i'm getting much better speed on my new laptop  ;D