Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Upgrading from single core to dual core  (Read 2509 times)

jimbo8098

Topic Starter

Beginner

Upgrading from single core to dual core
    « on: January 28, 2010, 10:25:07 AM »
    I currently have a single core Intel Pentuim 4 3.06GHz socket 775 CPU and I want to upgrade to a new Intel Pentium Dual Core E5400 2.7GHz 800FSB Socket 775 2MB 2x1MB L2 Cache Reta and I want to know what id need to do to do this.

I have XP home SP3

I have heard many things about installing from a single to dual.

First of all is that if i were just to plug it in now , it would only run as a single core cpu.

second thing i have heard is that i would have to reinstall windows , I have the cd so thats not that much of a problem.

Third thing , and most worrying , is a download , a program named HAL (Hardware something Layer) might need to be upgraded.

But give me your suggestion on how to install them.

I already know how to physically install it on the motherboard and apply the thermal paste , it is just the os i am worried about really...

I am currently working for clicknetworks IT Support. Please feel free to visit our site at http://www.clicknetworks.co.uk

giardmi09

Beginner

• Yes
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Upgrading from single core to dual core
    « Reply #1 on: January 28, 2010, 12:18:10 PM »
    Find out the model of your motherboard and look up what cpu's are compatible with it on the manufacturer's website. Or look in the manual, it will tell you in there also. The only way to be sure a certain processor will work on a board is to check in the manual or on the website. If the list of processors for your board has some core 2 duo cpu's then choose one of them. If its in the list then it should install with no problems or need to change software.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #2 on: January 28, 2010, 04:02:33 PM »
    Good advice above...

Since it's only the CPU being changed then XP probably will not even hiccup....but if it does it's an easy remedy...
    Especially since you have an XP CD.

Repair Install of XP

I suggest reading thru it to get familiar paying special attention to the warnings.
    And print out a copy for reference before starting.

Best of Luck on the new CPU.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

jimbo8098

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2010, 02:20:17 AM »
      O i already know how to do a repair install , I did one 3 days ago and everything is fine.

In relatio0n to this manual , do you mean if it can support the socket and the number of cores? If so I am ompletely sure that this will work...

I am currently working for clicknetworks IT Support. Please feel free to visit our site at http://www.clicknetworks.co.uk

jimbo8098

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2010, 02:29:30 AM »
        BUT my main issue really was that i might have to install something or change a bios setting. bios  scares me...

I get this because i have read that sometimes the cpu will only use 1 core of the cpu , thinking it is single core , and not use both or all four until you install an update to the hardware abstraction layer

t_blake07

Apprentice
          « Reply #5 on: January 30, 2010, 02:33:33 AM »
          Look at your motherboard. There should be an identifiable number, somewhere near the RAM and CPU. Go to the boards manufacturer's website. If there is no number that you can see on the board, the manufacturer might have a scan tool on their website that will help you ID the board. If they do, great, that means they will also tell you what hardware is compatible with it. If there is no such tool, look for your board, and then look where it shows compatible CPU's.

If you find a number on the board, post it here while you go on your scavenger hunt.  ;)

t_blake07

Apprentice
            « Reply #6 on: January 30, 2010, 02:44:42 AM »
            Since they are both socket 775 CPU's, and there isn't anything else restricting you from installing the E5400, I would go ahead and make the switch.

Once you install it, if everything seems to be fine at first, go straight into BIOS and look to see if it's showing both cores. Or you could let Windows load and go into Task Manager and look for two graphs under CPU Usage. If there are two, and they are both running, all should be well. If there is still only one, you may need to do the re-install that patio suggested.

Odds are, you will probably need to update BIOS. And then even if all seems well, I would still do a fresh install of the OS. Just to avoid any possible complications.

patio

• Genius
            • Maud' Dib
              • Yes
            • Experience: Beginner
            « Reply #7 on: January 30, 2010, 08:49:00 AM »
            Why do we still not know which MBoard this is ? ?

That does make a difference...
            " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "