Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: No internet access?  (Read 6351 times)

Zim0n

Topic Starter

Beginner

No internet access?
    « on: January 28, 2010, 01:55:44 PM »
    I have a HP pavillion dv7 with visa installed on it. It's new and i got it for about a mount ago. Everything has worked fine with it until today. Earlier on the day i was using it and it worked perfectly, then i turned it off and later in the night when i turned it on the problem occured.
    In my taskbar the computer tells me i am connected, but without showing the little globe next to the computer, sometimes the globe is even there, but still i have no connection?
    Also i have several other computers that are connected to the wireless internet, and they work just fine. I have also heard of viruses that can cause this problem, i've just done a scan of the whole computer and no viruses were found.

Please help!
    « Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 02:07:20 PM by Zim0n »

EEVIAC

Re: No internet access?
    « Reply #1 on: January 28, 2010, 10:09:53 PM »
    Click START>All programs>accessories>command prompt

type:    ipconfig   press enter

Is it showing an IP address, default gateway address, and subnet mask?

Zim0n

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2010, 11:17:42 PM »
      Yes i do have Default gateway address and a subnet mask, but the only thing i  can find like IP address is something called IPv6 address and it looks very weird, far to long

Zim0n

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2010, 11:23:31 PM »
        I have also tried logging in to msn, and msn tells me the error is in network ports, such at proxy and firewall. I have tested turning off the firewall but still the same ''/

EEVIAC

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2010, 11:46:26 PM »
        but the only thing i  can find like IP address is something called IPv6 address and it looks very weird, far to long

If all you're seeing is a single IPv6 address (no IPv4 address) then you're not getting a connection to the dhcp server, which is the router, in most cases.. If your computer was set up for IPv6 it would still need at least two addresses, one address is the "Link Local" for the local network, and the other is for the Internet, "global address", which it gets from the dhcp server (router).  But you're only seeing one IPv6 address (most likely the link local address) so that's even more indication that your laptop isn't connecting to the router..

Do you have a cable you can use to connect to the router, instead of using wireless?  If it works with a cable, then that means we have to get your wireless laptop settings configured properly so it can connect to the router and obtain and IPv4 address... 

« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 12:23:24 AM by EEVIAC »

Zim0n

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2010, 06:38:43 AM »
          Checked again, with the cable connected i still get the same problem, shows im connected but i cannot access the internet....I tested going into cmd and typed ipconfig /all and at DHCP activated: no, and still the IPv6 is weird. how can i fix this ? :O

namdeo_tarun

Rookie

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2010, 08:54:06 AM »
            Ya with wi fi sometimes i too have that problem...................

But it fixes after some time.....if ur problem is not solved first formst ur computer and reinstall windows

Allan

• Mastermind
            • Experience: Guru
            « Reply #7 on: January 29, 2010, 08:58:56 AM »

if ur problem is not solved first formst ur computer and reinstall windows
            You may safely ignore this advice for now.

Zim0n

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2010, 10:25:11 AM »
              I have now been working on the problem for a couple of hours...i have tested to ping different sites, and it works fine, i do also have a correct IP address...can this have to do with my MAC - address?

EEVIAC

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2010, 01:35:10 PM »
              I have now been working on the problem for a couple of hours

How did you resolve the problem?  Did the cable help?

Are you able to get online with wireless?

Zim0n

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2010, 02:05:19 PM »
                I still have not solved the problem, i am connected and everything seems to work fine, it's just that i cannot search the web, or connect to internet programs like msn or skype :O

EEVIAC

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2010, 04:39:45 PM »
                I have now been working on the problem for a couple of hours...i have tested to ping different sites, and it works fine, i do also have a correct IP address...can this have to do with my MAC - address?

sorry, I should have looked at this more closely..   

So when you ping successfully, is it while the cable is plugged in or with out it?

talontromper

Hopeful
                  • Yes
                  • Yes
                  • Yes
                • Computer: Specs
                • Experience: Familiar
                « Reply #12 on: January 29, 2010, 04:39:58 PM »
                i have the exact same laptop..... i also have this problem. what i always do to fix that particular problem is to turn off my router/modem (or what ever config you have) to reset teh system. that always solves teh problem for me
                "One does not discover new lands without consenting to lose sight of the shore for a very long time." - Andre Gide

Zim0n

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2010, 02:42:57 AM »
                  Yes it works fine to ping when i am wireless.
                  Do you mean reseting by turning the router off for a while or by pressing the reset button?  ???

EEVIAC

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2010, 03:45:34 AM »
                  Stay plugged into the router with a cable for now..  Let's get this rolling on a cable first, and then go wireless...   It will be easier to isolate the problem this way..

i cannot search the web, or connect to internet programs like msn or skype :O

If you can ping websites at this point, I doubt resetting the router will fix the problem.  Now I think is the time to look at the software side of things.. Connected with a cable, restart the computer and tap the f8 until you see the "advanced boot options" screen..  Select Safe Mode with Networking
                  When it boots up, see if you can browse...  If not, stay in Safe Mode and try a different browser, if there is one installed...

Zim0n

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2010, 04:34:07 AM »
                    Have now booted up in safe mode with networking, and i can connect to the internet and use my browser just like normal! works fine with both cable and wireless while in safe mode!.... Now how can i solve the problem so that it works while not in safe mode?  ???

EEVIAC

« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2010, 05:28:44 AM »
                    excellent progress..

We've now confirmed that this is a software issue..  Whether it be viruses or some run away driver/service/app, we should remove the possibility of viruses first..

What I would do now, is while in Safe Mode with Networking, download and install Malwarebytes (it's free)... Click on the "update" tab and update to make sure your using the latest definitions...Run the scan..   Download, install, update, and run "Spybot Search and Destroy" (do not install the "tea timer" when you install spybot)....  Run both of these, and if it finds/removes malware, try browsing again in normal mode and see what you get... If the anti-virus software doesn't find any malware, just post back...

Zim0n

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2010, 06:02:18 AM »
                      No need for anything more now! just solved the problem, i read on another website that norton sometimes occurs this problem, so i uninstalled Norton antivirus and rebooted. When i started my browser everything was back to normal!
                       Thanks a lot for all the help!

EEVIAC

« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2010, 06:09:43 AM »
                      good news

Safe Mode obviously disabled Norton services, which allowed unrestricted browsing..  ;)

talontromper

Hopeful
                        • Yes
                        • Yes
                        • Yes
                      • Computer: Specs
                      • Experience: Familiar
                      « Reply #19 on: January 30, 2010, 03:58:00 PM »
                      however it would be prudent to reinstall norton but just scale back the intrusivness of the AV software
                      "One does not discover new lands without consenting to lose sight of the shore for a very long time." - Andre Gide