Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Upgrade advice  (Read 2564 times)

t_blake07

Topic Starter

Apprentice
    Upgrade advice
    « on: January 28, 2010, 07:57:07 PM »
    I'm getting ready to order some new hardware and was wondering if there's anything certain I should be prepared for after it's all installed. I'm upgrading the CPU from a single core Celeron to a dual core E5400. I'm adding a GPU, since there currently isn't one in it, switching the PSU for a higher wattage one, adding RAM, and adding a new HDD. I know that everything is compatible, it's mainly the post- installation that i'm worried about. I've built computers from scratch using all new parts, but i've never done an upgrade such as this. I've got the Vista installation disk in case i'll be needing that. Also, I think I want to use the old HDD along with the new one. Something else i've never set up. Any advice would be great. Thanks.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Upgrade advice
    « Reply #1 on: January 28, 2010, 08:24:49 PM »
    I'm going to assume that you don't want to have to re-install Vista and all your apps ....along with hours and hours of tweaking to get things right...
    That being said here's how i'd approach it.
    (Keep in mind some of these suggestions are simply precautions)

1) Assemble all new and existing drivers and have them in one place...preferably on 1 cd but not neccessary.
    2) Backup all browser and e-mail info...if using FireFox MozBack will do both FireFox and Thunderbird...great app.
    3) If you do have an image app do a backup of your existing system and burn it to CD/DVD just in case.

----------------
    4) Leave the new HDD out of the equation for now. We are going to work with the existing one. Replace the PSU.
    5)Then replace the CPU...making sure to follow the install info provided and apply thermal compound properly.

Thermal Paste Guide

6) Leave the new RAM go for now as well...we want to boot to Vista with the least amount of changes.
    7) Power up...chances are Vista will not hiccup with just the CPU being swapped. If it doesn't take the time to check all is well especially in Device Manager. If so we'll continue...if not:

Repair Install of Vista.

I suggest a full read and a printout for reference before starting...if this step was not needed with the CPU swap then we're almost done.
    8.) Re-boot after checking all is OK with the CPU swap and then power down.
    9) Install the vid card.
    10) Boot up...Vista will detect the card and want to search the web for drivers for it...don't let it. Point the install to the CD that shipped with the card instead and install that way. Re-boot...and again check all is OK in Device Manger.
    (At this point most are tempted to tweak the vid card...forget that part for now...you will have time.)

11) Add your new RAM...make sure to check the MBoard manual for slot configurations etc. Re-boot a few times and make sure all is well.

-----------------------------
    When you are satisfied you have arrived here and before tweaking now the important step.

Power down. Hook up the new HDD as a slave drive. Boot to the HDD manuf. CD that shipped with the drive...if it didn't DLoad the Free utilities from the NEW HDD manuf. site. Follow the info to create a bootable CD.
    Boot to the CD and open the Utility program...most autorun.
    Choose the "clone" selection and "clone" the old drive to the new one. When it finishes power down...( DO NOT interrupt this process for anything.)
    Remove the original drive completely and hook up the new drive as master with the correct jumper settings or SATA connector on the board.
    Power up and you are now on your new setup.

Tweak to your hearts content...after tweaking burn another image of the new drive...then you can hook up the old drive as slave...format and use it for storage.

Congrats on your new Upgrade ! !
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

t_blake07

Topic Starter

Apprentice
      « Reply #2 on: January 28, 2010, 08:36:59 PM »
      Looks simple enough. Thanks for taking the time patio. I appreciate it.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #3 on: January 28, 2010, 08:56:47 PM »
      Anytime blake...

Any questions you know where i am.

t_blake07

Topic Starter

Apprentice
        « Reply #4 on: January 28, 2010, 10:03:48 PM »
        Just out of curiosity, wouldn't it be easier/quicker to do a clean install? I don't have much installed on this machine so that wouldn't be a problem.

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        « Reply #5 on: January 29, 2010, 07:44:00 AM »
        Yes.

As i said i was assuming you didn't want to do this.
        However see it as an opportunity...you can learn this procedure as you may need it down the road...
        You will have the experience of the steps involved...
        If you screw up...you can still do the clean install.....     ;)

t_blake07

Topic Starter

Apprentice
          « Reply #6 on: January 29, 2010, 03:41:18 PM »
          Very true. Good thinkin.

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          « Reply #7 on: January 29, 2010, 08:43:06 PM »
          Sundance said to Butch..."just keep thinkin...Butch...that's what yer' good at"...

One of my all time favorite movies.

t_blake07

Topic Starter

Apprentice
            « Reply #8 on: February 04, 2010, 04:41:09 PM »
            Ok, it seems that this PC doesn't have a DVD/CD burner. I don't know how I overlooked that. Is there another way to set up the slave drive and master drive without creating a bootable CD?

patio

• Genius
            • Maud' Dib
              • Yes
            « Reply #9 on: February 04, 2010, 05:13:02 PM »
            A brand new DVD burner is 30 Bucks...it'll come in handy.

And in answer to the question...NO...the clone operation has to be run from a bootable CD.
            It cannot be ran from the OS as you can't clone/image an OS that is in operation.

t_blake07

Topic Starter

Apprentice
              « Reply #10 on: February 04, 2010, 06:13:15 PM »
              A brand new DVD burner is 30 Bucks...it'll come in handy.

And in answer to the question...NO...the clone operation has to be run from a bootable CD.
              It cannot be ran from the OS as you can't clone/image an OS that is in operation.

Like I said, I was unaware there wasn't a DVD burner. I assumed the drive that's in it was a burner. If this was my personal system, I would have bought a burner long ago. But, since it's my mom's PC, and she has already dropped over $300 on upgrades, i'll have to pry it out of her.

Anyways, i've got other problems now and I haven't even got to the HDD installation. I'll make a new topic for it.

t_blake07

Topic Starter

Apprentice
                « Reply #11 on: February 05, 2010, 07:04:19 PM »
                Just to make sure before I start the clone process...

The Vista disk I have is a "Reinstallation DVD"

It says, "Only use this DVD to reinstall Vista on a Dell PC."

Will this disk still work for me seeing how i've upgraded multiple components?
                « Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 07:24:25 PM by t_blake07 »