Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Microsoft office 2003/ word problem  (Read 3349 times)

carlrowley1

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• liverpool fc
    Microsoft office 2003/ word problem
    « on: January 29, 2010, 10:23:43 PM »
    Hello guys

This is for a friend of mine who has got microsoft office 2003 installed.
    Now to be honest, she does not have the disk, otherwise i would have tryed a reinstall.

Someone had put this on for her, so i don't know if this is some sort of copy, as you would need a licence key etc..., but a licence key has been entered and this is a full version not a trail.

Anyway the problem seems to be with "microsoft word"  a "running banner" in the top left of word will keep saying "FINALIZING ISTALLATION" but you can still type a few sentences in before it will automatically shut down, saying microsoft word has encounted a problem and needs to shut down.

All the other programs are fine excel, powerpoint, etc..
    Is there anything she could try , or would this need a complete reinstall.

This is on a vista ultimate.....
    windowsXP professional sp3, Ram 512 , 1.30 gigahertz AMD Athlon, Maxtor 4r080L0 hard drive.

Laptop Toshiba.  L300/L300D series/windows vista home premium/
    2gb ram/32 bit/

Windows 7 / home premium / 64 bit /3gb system ram /

Circuit Breaker

Rookie

Re: Microsoft office 2003/ word problem
      « Reply #1 on: January 29, 2010, 11:25:21 PM »
       ^-^ run the MS Office 2003 upgrade program. The install files should be on the machine, I have had to use that disk many times to fix the code. Software ages just like you and me. Along the way bit and pieces start to fall off, software is not for ever thus the need to return to the mother disk before being transported back to *.exe. If you upgrade to a SP (service pack) you need that disk. Call Microsoft and buy one it is like twenty dollars. Is she dose not have the key code tell her to go on ebay and buy one, just don't pay a lot for it, you can't lose buying key codes is not illegal never was and never will be , Problem solved. You have got to keep your disk, and then teach her how a computer works so she dose not just using you for your PC O0 Power make a Bart disk for her. I bought Office 2007 for 67 dollars at New Egg last month .

carlrowley1

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• liverpool fc
        « Reply #2 on: January 30, 2010, 01:47:28 AM »
        ^-^ run the MS Office 2003 upgrade program. The install files should be on the machine, I have had to use that disk many times to fix the code. Software ages just like you and me. Along the way bit and pieces start to fall off, software is not for ever thus the need to return to the mother disk before being transported back to *.exe. If you upgrade to a SP (service pack) you need that disk. Call Microsoft and buy one it is like twenty dollars. Is she dose not have the key code tell her to go on ebay and buy one, just don't pay a lot for it, you can't lose buying key codes is not illegal never was and never will be , Problem solved. You have got to keep your disk, and then teach her how a computer works so she dose not just using you for your PC O0 Power make a Bart disk for her. I bought Office 2007 for 67 dollars at New Egg last month .

OK, circuit Breaker. lets see if i have got this right.
        So she would need the MS office 2003 upgrade program ....which she would have to pay for
        And also  she would need the original disk or mother disk.

so just reinstalling it, she would still have the same problem
        windowsXP professional sp3, Ram 512 , 1.30 gigahertz AMD Athlon, Maxtor 4r080L0 hard drive.

2gb ram/32 bit/

Allan

• Mastermind
        • Experience: Guru
        « Reply #3 on: January 30, 2010, 07:18:25 AM »
        This forum does not support pirated or illegally obtained software, and that's what you are describing. Sorry.

carlrowley1

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• liverpool fc
          « Reply #4 on: February 06, 2010, 02:55:57 AM »
          This forum does not support pirated or illegally obtained software, and that's what you are describing. Sorry.

Sorry allan, i wasen't sure how it was installed, i don't know about office programs at all.
          I thought you might be able to install these disks on a few computers, like you can with some anti virus software.
          I have just told her it could be a pirated copy which i thought anyway.....

Thanks again allan

2gb ram/32 bit/

soybean

Genius
          • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
          • Computer: Specs
          • Experience: Experienced
          « Reply #5 on: February 06, 2010, 09:29:50 AM »
          OpenOffice might be a good free alternative for your friend.  It will recognize Word's .doc format and can save in that format.

carlrowley1

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• liverpool fc
            « Reply #6 on: February 07, 2010, 12:56:12 AM »
            OpenOffice might be a good free alternative for your friend.  It will recognize Word's .doc format and can save in that format.

Thankyou soybean.

Thats a good alternative for what he actually needs it for, rather than paying out just to use word.
            Will probably go ahead and download open office, i have open office on my xp machine but don't really use it, so i suppose he will have a better understanding than me on saving documents in word format so he can then take them into college.

Great soybean.... :)

2gb ram/32 bit/

Steve_IT_Dude

Greenhorn
              « Reply #7 on: February 07, 2010, 03:02:34 AM »
              Hi All,
              Google Docs is also a good free alternative to using an "evaluation copy" of Office. :)
              Google docs many Word templates that you can choose from and you have the added benefit that you can access it from any internet connection worldwide.
              I also agree Open Office is another good alternative as you can open and save files in .doc format.

Regards
              Steve
              free-pchelp

carlrowley1

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• liverpool fc
                « Reply #8 on: February 08, 2010, 06:21:12 AM »
                Hi All,
                Google Docs is also a good free alternative to using an "evaluation copy" of Office. :)

thanks steve, i'll have a look at that also.... 8)

2gb ram/32 bit/