Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: New Computer!!!  (Read 2908 times)

kjames

Topic Starter

Beginner

New Computer!!!
    « on: January 30, 2010, 05:57:35 AM »
    I just bought a new computer and was looking for some software advice??  Which Anti-virus and scanning software is reccomended by the forum?  and which of this preloaded software should I get rid of ASAP?? ie hulu desktop, hardware diagnostic tools, a bunch of HP programs....etc....

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: New Computer!!!
    « Reply #1 on: January 30, 2010, 07:08:57 AM »
    Personally, the first thing I do when I get a new system is format and do a clean install. That way I know every program that is installed. But that's me. If you don't want to do that then uninstall any apps you don't want or need.

There are a lot of good AV's - pick a name you've heard of (other than McAfee) and you'll be fine. My personal choice is Kaspersky, but as I said, there are a bunch of good ones. If you want something that's free go with Avira, Avast, AVG or something similar. You should also install MalwareBytes and/or Super AntiSpyware and scan with either or both once every couple of weeks. I also suggest SpywareBlaster. You'll need to update the definitions weekly and it does NOT need to remain "resident".

Last, I strongly recommend the use of Disk Imaging software on a regular basis. Create an image now, before you make any changes. Then you can create images once a week or so and keep the 2 or 3 most recent images. Put the images on a 2nd HD (internal or external).

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #2 on: January 30, 2010, 09:09:44 AM »
    Personally, the first thing I do when I get a new system is format and do a clean install. That way I know every program that is installed. But that's me.
    But, that's not an option if you have to use a Recovery partition to reinstall.  At least, it's not on my 2 1/2 year old Compaq laptop.  If I run the Recovery partition, it's going to install everything that was on the computer when new and it won't give me one bit of control over what gets installed.

Allan

• Mastermind
    « Reply #3 on: January 30, 2010, 09:16:52 AM »
    Yeah. I do tend to forget that not everyone has access to the original OS discs. Before I was a Microsoft Partner (which gives me a bunch of OS licenses) I would never have purchased a system that did not include the full OS on CD.

kjames

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2010, 11:04:29 AM »
      thanks guys! great info...  also i've been watching more movies and sports online... is there a lot of spyware on these sites (ie channelsurfing.net, justintv, ovguide.com)???

Allan

• Mastermind
      « Reply #5 on: January 30, 2010, 11:09:02 AM »
      Unless you download something, the worst you'll get from such sites is a tracking cookie. Still, SpywareBlaster (mentioned above) will block known malicious sites.

Broni

Mastermind
      • Kraków my love :)
        • Computer Help Forum
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #6 on: January 30, 2010, 11:43:38 AM »
      Personally, the first thing I do when I get a new system is format and do a clean install. That way I know every program that is installed.
      I wouldn't recommend it for an average user.

Beside McAfee, I'd also stay away from Norton and AVG.

Your other options:

- Avira free antivirus: http://www.free-av.com/en/download/1/avira_antivir_personal__free_antivirus.html
      - Avast! free antivirus: http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html

- free Comodo Internet Security (firewall + AV): http://www.personalfirewall.comodo.com/
      NOTE. During installation, Comodo will also allow you to install AV only, or firewall only, if you prefer to combine one Comodo product with some other product.

If you decide to install Avast, or Avira, make sure, Windows firewall is turned on, or use Comodo firewall..
      If you decide to install Comodo Internet Security, or just Comodo firewall, make sure, Windows firewall is turned off.

IMPORTANT! Make sure, you use only ONE antivirus, and ONE firewall.

As for websites safety....
      Download, and install WOT (Web OF Trust): http://www.mywot.com/. It'll warn you (in most cases) about dangerous web sites.

kjames

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2010, 06:10:09 AM »
        I tried to uninstall (6-month free trial of microsoft office) using add/remove program.... however the icon is still on my desktop.... any suggestions??  thanks again for all the info!!

Allan

• Mastermind
        « Reply #8 on: January 31, 2010, 07:04:54 AM »
        Just delete the icon (right-click on it and delete)