Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: HDD loud click  (Read 2619 times)

Hellcry

HDD loud click
« on: June 30, 2005, 05:14:51 PM »
I recently purchased a 120gb Western Digital IDE hard drive from a commercial vendor at a local computer show.  I set it as my master in my system and the old drive and slave and installed XP Pro on it.  It seems to work fine except that when i am using it it sometimes will make a loud click noise and start to spin up again.  My system hangs when it does this.

I understand it is normal opperation for a hard drive that has turned off and spun down to turn back on and spin back up.  My problem is that the drive was currently being accessed befor and during the time when it clicked and spun up.  All connections are snug and correct.

I have looked on the WD website and found no specific information for my problem.  I also found that my drive is still under warranty and they may replace it.  I have posted this because i would like to get an opinion from someone who might have any knowledge i do not.

Another note.  The HDD is currently running as a slave and when i go to access it it does not make the loud click noise when it starts up.

merlin_2

Re: HDD loud click
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2005, 05:19:50 PM »
Nothing new....bearings....on wd always did this! if unsure go to wd website and download diagnostic software for the hard drive....

Hellcry

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2005, 05:53:59 PM »
I ran the quick test with their diagnostics software and is said "Pass" with a pretty green checkmark next to it...  

Computer_Commando

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2005, 07:10:09 PM »
See if BIOS has setting for Power Management, set "Hard Drive to Standby" to "Never".

Hellcry

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2005, 08:53:34 PM »
Well what im saying is the HDD was not on standby when it made the loud click and spun back up.  When the drive was on standby and spun back up it did not make the loud click.  When it makes the loud click it was already spinning and has to spin back up again.  My system halts for a momment while it does this.

Computer_Commando

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2005, 07:59:57 AM »
I have many brands of drives, both old and new, and WD are much quieter than Seagate, Quantum or Maxtor.  Loud clicking noises are generally not a good sign.  If WD is willing to replace it, then do so.