Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Grasping for notebook display hope  (Read 2006 times)

Alexa327

Topic Starter

Starter

Grasping for notebook display hope
    « on: February 03, 2010, 08:57:54 PM »
    Hello,

I'm new here and I haven't found any previous posts about this particular issue:

I'm wondering if anyone here knows of a way to get a desktop monitor to display my laptop in Safe mode.

1. I've had a freak accident, 1 hour ago: the LCD screen on my Sony Vaio VGN-CR590 notebook, Vista business, 32-bit got cracked. The notebook is off-warranty, I contacted Sony anyway and they had no idea on how to help me.

2.I've connected the notebook to my old desktop screen  since I've done this in the past, and it works out fine, except for this time because, the desktop monitor only seems to display the notebook's desktop after Windows loads, which isn't happening because looking at the notebook screen, it looks like I'm getting a BSOD, I tried restarting in Safe mode, but I can't see what I'm doing because the desktop monitor says there's "no signal" then goes completely black.

3.I've tried every Fn + F... combination, nothing works.

4.Sorry about the painfully long and boring post, I'm a bit desperate here...

Cheers,

A.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Grasping for notebook display hope
    « Reply #1 on: February 03, 2010, 09:10:00 PM »
    You might do it blind.
    T run on power. Witch keyboard lights.
    Tap the f8 key about once per second for five to ten seconds.
    Wait about ten seconds. Tap the home key twice. then hit the return once.
    Wait for Windows to boot.
    Then turn on the VGA output. On my laptop it is Fn + F7, but yours will be different.

Alexa327

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2010, 09:35:51 PM »
      I'll try. Thank you.

Alexa327

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2010, 09:54:38 PM »
        Hi again,

Tried it, no result. I didn't mention the screen sizes before as the notebook is 14.1" and the desktop is 15", so I didn't think adjusting the desktop monitor's settings to the notebook size/res. would be a factor.

I know it's a long shot, it's just that my gigantic puppy landed his arse on the notebook just as I was taking a quick break from writing a very important school essay...

Thanks again,

A.