Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: printer error messages in wrong user account!  (Read 2106 times)

RosyT

Topic Starter

printer error messages in wrong user account!
    « on: February 05, 2010, 09:54:04 AM »
    I am running Windows XP and each family member has a user account. When one account is open with applications running and I log on to my account and try to print or use my cutting machine any error messages go to the other window. So for example if the printer (an HP C6180) runs out of ink it sends a message and won't continue until it gets a response, but that message is displayed in the other account window which I can only access if I 'Switch User' and log into the other account! The same thing happens with my Craft Cutter which sends a confirmation message 'Do you want to cut now' to the alternative window. I haven't yet worked out what logic it uses to decide but it would be nice if it was based on which account was using the machine (printer or cutter)! Please can someone end my misery!!

truenorth

Guru

Re: printer error messages in wrong user account!
      « Reply #1 on: February 07, 2010, 10:12:27 AM »
      I suspect that what you are experiencing is being caused by which of your accounts has the "administrator" designation. All messages re faults are being directed to that account as opposed to the actual account that is using the function at any given time. You can verify this as the cause by having the administrator account actually perform a function and see if the message is displayed on that screen as opposed to being transferred to another user account. As to how you will (if it can be done) create the instruction so that the message will actually appear related to the current user is beyond my pay grade. However i know that if indeed that is the cause there are others here on the CH forums that will comment on that for you. truenorth

RosyT

Topic Starter

Re: printer error messages in wrong user account!
        « Reply #2 on: February 11, 2010, 02:32:47 AM »
        Thanks for this. 3 of us (myself , dad and eldest son) have adminstrator rights. I haven't tested it but it's probably based on whose name comes up first - maybe I shall have to change my name to AAAh! :D