Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: CPU Support question  (Read 2179 times)

Dead Reckon

CPU Support question
« on: February 05, 2010, 11:17:44 PM »
Alright, here's the problem my MSI P6N Diamond is only a few years old. However, the modern Core 2 Duo's and Core 2 Quad's are NOT supported by it, even though it boasted quad core support. And the CPU's that are supported have been cut out of stock because they are a bit dated like the board, and the standing state of the economy proves them to be less profitable to keep hardware like that in stock.

So, does anyone know of any workaround for this or am I going to have to replace my motherboard? If that's the case I'll just sell this whole computer sans the drives and build me another. I don't like the tower, I got this thing in a trade, and I'd have to replace the power supply, CPU, GPU, possibly the RAM, and definitely replace the hard drive to play any modern games worth a crap. The GPU is a big bottleneck but if I replace it my overclocked E4500 would then become the bottleneck. So I'm in a bit of a bind here because when I get a job here soon I won't be pulling that much cash and I'd really rather not have to shell out for a new rig. I'm hoping on working on getting my license this summer so money will be going to a car (an old one, I hate new cars, I can't work on 'em and theres too much electronic crap to go wrong).

So if anyone has any workarounds, tell me, this is driving me nuts, my board isn't that old but its already outdated. I've looked around to see if places sell the older CPU's that would work but all of 'em want upwards of $150 for a decent CPU that isn't as good as the newer ones that this thing DOESN'T support. God I swear computers are advancing so fast there tripping over there own feet.

The main concern I have about upgrading now is that its JUST in the middle of all this new stuff coming out like I7's and there JUST barely out of my price range. And I know just like the last few times I've built systems if I build one now I'll be stuck in the same rut I'm in now. I think, if anything, I'll wind up getting another budget GPU that'll be ten times better than this one and get the job done but I was hoping to be able to get another CPU aswell. Hold off until the newer stuff is priced down enough to be affordable.

EEVIAC

Re: CPU Support question
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2010, 02:41:00 AM »
the modern Core 2 Duo's and Core 2 Quad's are NOT supported by it, even though it boasted quad core support.

What do you mean by "modern"?   Your board supports socket LGA 775, and virtually any processor supported by LGA 775 is compatible with the board..

And the CPU's that are supported have been cut out of stock

Your board supports these LGA 775 processors and as far as I can see, they are available for purchase:

Core 2 Extreme
Core 2 Duo
Pentium 4
Pentium D
Pentium XE
Celeron D

Core 2 Extreme

Core 2 Duo

Pentium 4

Pentium D

Celeron D

If you look around you more than likely find some Pent. XE (extreme edition) processors available as well..

Edit: If the board doesn't support any LGA 775 quad-core CPUs it's because the chipset on the board doesn't support them..
« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 03:01:12 AM by EEVIAC »

Dead Reckon

Re: CPU Support question
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2010, 10:01:12 AM »
By "Modern" I mean I'm a year late and a few hundred dollars short to afford something that shouldn't cost a hundred bucks.

If you look at the support list, you'll see that the a lot of CPU's on there aren't sold anymore except for the high end (and still overpriced ones). If you do find them they cost a ridiculous amount, $180 and up, I can get a newer CPU for that price that's a LOT better but it doesn't work with my board.

My question is if you know someone that stocks anything this thing does support. And incase you misread the chart I linked to, the CPU's uptop are NOT supported.

I don't want to pay more for something that's worth less. I'll probably wind up grabbing me two budget GPU's and running 'em in SLI with a slightly better power supply 'cause noone has CPU's that this thing supports for a reasonable price and I don't want to make the one I got a bottleneck. I'll show you what I mean by a reasonable price.

Here's a Core 2 quad Q8400 which my motherboard does NOT support. $170, fair price, fair enough for that kind of power.

Here's another for a bit less:

Core 2 Quad E8300

However, my motherboard does not support these CPU's, they never revised it to support newer Dual and Quad cores, just ones that where out when it was new, and for the record, a Pentium D, Pentium 4, and Celeron D, would all be downgrades. I'd like to get my hands on a core 2 quad, but I'd have to get one of these:

Kentsfield Q6400 2x4MB (2.13GHz, B3, 105W)  1066  8  SINCE 1.2
Kentsfield Q6600 2x4MB (2.4GHz, B3, 105W)    1066    9    SINCE 1.2
Kentsfield Q6600 2x4MB (2.4GHz, G0, 95W)    1066    9     SINCE 1.2
Kentsfield Q6700 2x4MB (2.66GHz, G0, 95W)    1066    10 SINCE 1.2

The best I could grab is a E8600 Core 2 Duo that this thing supports but WHY would I want to pay more for less of a CPU? What I'm saying is that this thing boasts quad core support but I can't find any of the CPU's it DOES support. I had my eye on a Q6700 and Q6600 for a while but they killed them off it seems. What I'm saying is basically this, why bother upgrading if its not much of an upgrade at all?

If someone can find a Q6600 or Q6700 for a reasonable price, or another CPU this thing supports that is as powerful, I'd be grateful. I've got this CPU overclocked and I know its going to chug even with a bottom of the line GPU stuck in here. I just find it ridiculous that they don't sell CPU's that haven't even been out for three years yet.