Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: four squares and a "file not found message when booting"  (Read 4192 times)

jkc

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

four squares and a "file not found message when booting"
    « on: February 06, 2010, 07:50:10 AM »
    I have a windows xp os and when it starts up there are four square boxes and a windows cannot find message. When I click on the ok then I get a message with four squares saying "could not load or run (four boxes) specified in the registry. Make sure the file exists on your computer or remove the reference to it in the registry."  If I click ok then it goes away.  How can I get rid of this?  Someone told me it is a virus, but I have scanned this computer many times with no virus' showing up.  I cannot find this file in the registry to delete it.  Is this a virus?  Any help removing this message would be appreciated.  I have looked and looked at the registry files.  Thanks for any help, as I'm in over my head it seems.

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: four squares and a "file not found message when booting"
    « Reply #1 on: February 06, 2010, 07:55:21 AM »
    Download and run Mike Lin's Startup Control Panel. Uncheck any startup items with which you are not familiar (you can always recheck them later). Then reboot.

jkc

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2010, 07:29:52 AM »
      Thanks for your idea with this issue.  I downloaded what you said and unchecked every
      single item with no luck changing anything at all.  Can you tell me if this is a virus? because if I have to live with this I will but don't want to.  It was the Time Warner guy who said it was a virus because the wireless internet won't consistently work at a certain location.  I think maybe he was just blowing me off because where I'm at right now the wireless works fine.  I think maybe that was the only way for him to get off the hook.  But if it is a virus I would like to remove it.  I appreciate all of your ideas, and if you have any others to get rid of this problem.  Thanks!

Allan

• Mastermind
      « Reply #3 on: February 07, 2010, 07:31:30 AM »
      What happens when you boot to safe mode?

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #4 on: February 07, 2010, 08:02:57 AM »
      Not to knock them but in my experience "Time Warner guys " are not to be relied on.....

Disclaimer: This is in no way meant to offend all the other wonderful Time Warner employees and their many affiliates...
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

jkc

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2010, 09:29:10 AM »
        When I reboot in safe mode it dosent happen because my background picture dosent come up, the screen is just black with my icons on it.  The problem always happens right after the picture comes up and I'm ready to go to start. 

Allan

• Mastermind
        « Reply #6 on: February 07, 2010, 03:28:29 PM »
        Then it is something loading with the OS. You can do a selective startup with msconfig and disable / re-enable items until the problem occurs.

jkc

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2010, 08:06:33 AM »
          Hi,
          days later I have tried the msconfig that you suggested.  I actually did find the file and unchecked it.  It worked.  However then the message pops up that you have changed things and to go back to normal mode, which then puts the four squares thing right back.  I can't just disable one item, the choice is either disable/enable all of the items or not.  I still can't get rid of just this one file.  Although at least I know its on the startup part.  Any ideas?? I feel like I'm getting closer to making it go away, but I'm still stumped!  Thanks for your ideas.

Allan

• Mastermind
          « Reply #8 on: February 12, 2010, 08:11:30 AM »
          That's okay. MSCONFIG is simply a diagnostic tool. Go back to Startup Control Panel and disable the item from there.

jkc

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2010, 06:41:07 PM »
            Allan,
            SUCCESS! I have successfully removed the offending file/message.  I couldn't have done it without your help.  Thank you so much for making this machine fun to use again.  Keep up the good work!

Allan

• Mastermind
            « Reply #10 on: February 13, 2010, 07:40:56 AM »
            Happy to help. Glad it's all sorted out :)