Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Laptop freezes when idle  (Read 2646 times)

carbear783

Laptop freezes when idle
« on: February 07, 2010, 06:52:02 PM »
Hello,
My laptop completely freezes after sitting idle for even a few minutes. Sometimes the cursor moves, but nothing is clickable. And sometimes the mouse won't move at all. This has been happening for a couple months, and I've searched for some help on-line, but nothing has helped. As previously suggested,  I have adjusted computer setting to never go to sleep.

Here's some info on the computer:
hp pavilion dv6500 series
Microsoft Vista
2GB RAM
Runs Adaware and SpyBot periodically

Please let me know if any other information would be helpful. Thanks in advance for any advice!

Steve_IT_Dude

Greenhorn
    Re: Laptop freezes when idle
    « Reply #1 on: February 07, 2010, 09:01:02 PM »
    Hi,
    It is most likely due, to one of the applications that are running in the background is not responding, causing your whole PC to freeze.
    The best thing, is run to run Windows Task Manger - Ctrl-ALt-Delete and click "End Task" on the application that is not responding.
    If this program keeps freezing up all the time, you many want to consider uninstalling and reinstalling the application.
    I also recommend you check for updates for this unresponsive program.

Regards
    Steve
    free-pchelp

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Laptop freezes when idle
    « Reply #2 on: February 08, 2010, 05:49:31 AM »
    Open Task Manager to the Processes Tab. Double-Click on "cpu" at the top of the cpu column to sort with highest usage at the top. Next time the system freezes, note which process is hogging the cycles.