Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: command and conquer the first decade  (Read 7131 times)

trevelyanrules

Topic Starter

Rookie
    command and conquer the first decade
    « on: January 18, 2010, 07:49:03 PM »
    Hey everyone....i am having trouble with Command & Conquer the first decade (combines all the C&C games into one pack), in particular the original Command & Conquer and Red Alert.  Every time I play either one of them, about 10 seconds into the games they lock up and I have to use the Task Manager to get out of the games.

All the other games, the more recent ones, work fine.  Any ideas?  I am up to date on my drivers, and installed all the patches for the game too...

System specs....
    Windows XP Service Pack 3
    200 GB hard drive
    Pentium 4 Dual Core 3.2 GHz
    3 GB Ram
    NVidia GeForce 9600 GT video card
    Sigma Tel Audio sound card
    DirectX 9.0c

EEVIAC

Re: command and conquer the first decade
    « Reply #1 on: January 21, 2010, 03:12:35 AM »
    Have you tried running Command & Conqueror and/or Red Alert

in compatibility mode for an older version of Windows?  Command and Conqueror came out around '95 (i think).

Right click on the icon used to start the game, select "properties", click on the compatibility tab..

Put a tick on the box next to "run this program in compatibility mode for:"  Next choose Windows 95 and click apply and ok...   Try the game, if it doesn't work, try Windows 98 mode...

Also, be sure you're not overlooking any configuration files in the games... Some games (probably most, than some) come with a way to configure the video and sound that should be done before the game is started...

trevelyanrules

Topic Starter

Rookie
      « Reply #2 on: January 21, 2010, 05:05:10 PM »
      Have you tried running Command & Conqueror and/or Red Alert

in compatibility mode for an older version of Windows?  Command and Conqueror came out around '95 (i think).

Right click on the icon used to start the game, select "properties", click on the compatibility tab..

Put a tick on the box next to "run this program in compatibility mode for:"  Next choose Windows 95 and click apply and ok...   Try the game, if it doesn't work, try Windows 98 mode...

Also, be sure you're not overlooking any configuration files in the games... Some games (probably most, than some) come with a way to configure the video and sound that should be done before the game is started...

hey thanks for the reply!

The game is automatically run under the Windows 95 compatibility mode....I changed it to 98, and it actually ran for a good 3 or 4 minutes but crashed.  There is a file called CCSetup, when you open it, a window pops up with some options on it...

screen resolution (640x400), (640x480), (1024x768)
      hardware options (with empty check boxes) Back Buffer in Video Memory, and Allow Hardware Filled Blits
      multiplayer compatibility (empty check box) Compatible with DOS version 1.07

and then some other things about connecting to a network for multiplayer i'm assuming....any of that make any sense?

EEVIAC

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2010, 06:30:03 PM »
      It really depends on the game you're playing...  Does the game come with a readme.txt file?  Or user manual?   Those documents will reveal a lot about the game..   Trying different resolutions is definitely worth looking into..

You could also try disabling some non-microsoft services and/or third party programs that may be interfering with the game/s..  Do you konw how to do that?

Also, when you updated your drivers, did you use the "update" option in Device Manager?  Sometimes that's not a reliable way to find updates...  Did you go to the Manufacturers website and find the latest driver for your video card?

What's the make/model of your motherboard?  Or what's the make/model of the computer?  An update for your chipset driver may help..

the_mad_joker

Apprentice

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2010, 06:49:28 AM »
        Tried Reducing Texture Quality

quaxo

Guru
          • Yes
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Guru
        « Reply #5 on: January 26, 2010, 08:14:20 AM »

You obviously don't know what you're talking about. You suggest this in every thread that reports a game running sluggishly.

Both of the games he is referring to are 2D games and don't have texture quality settings. Pay attention.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
        • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • BC-Programming.com
        • Certifications: List
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #6 on: January 26, 2010, 09:00:00 AM »
        All the games in C&C First Decade work fine for me (I have the game as well). Well, except the first one, that one has a few issues relating to the palette.

The only requirement is I run the launcher, "TFDLauncher" with administrator rights; but that's a Vista/7 thing.

My system is similar to yours, also- aside from a different OS, I also have a different sound card. (an X-Fi). This gives me another idea-

Any "Special effects" enabled for the audio? like say 3d sound, or SRS effects of any sort? try disabling them.

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

wowsrc

Rookie

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2010, 06:13:55 AM »
          do a barrel roll?
          « Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 06:28:10 AM by wowsrc »

the_mad_joker

Apprentice

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2010, 06:23:21 AM »
            i Iz gO IN 2 kEeL u!!!!11!!1!11! :) ;) :D ;D >:( :( :o 8) ??? ::) :P :-[ :-X :-\ :-* :'( :-X

Dude WHY SO SERIOUS

I Didnt Understand your speaking's

the_mad_joker

Apprentice

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2010, 06:26:07 AM »
              You obviously don't know what you're talking about. You suggest this in every thread that reports a game running sluggishly.

Both of the games he is referring to are 2D games and don't have texture quality settings. Pay attention.

Oh Man! :o

I Am Really Vey Sorry :'(

:rofl:I Was So Silly! :rofl:

paries669

Rookie

• Experience: Experienced
                « Reply #10 on: February 16, 2010, 07:54:46 AM »

First deacade does have textures There are games like RENEGADE that has its own configuration tool for it in there, which I play.
                _______________________________________ ___________________________
                Sorry to get off topic here what graphixs card are you using.... nevermind I see it in ur specs. From my experience I had a month ago my garaphics card was getting worn out and that was causing my problem which was the same as yours. I could play for about 1/2 hour then it progressively got worse, Might want to try runnig your direct x diagnostic tool also you may need ttoo reinstall it I would start there b4 I would think about a graphics card.
                greetz  jonny

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
                • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
                  • Yes
                  • Yes
                  • BC-Programming.com
                • Certifications: List
                • Experience: Beginner
                « Reply #11 on: February 16, 2010, 09:47:02 AM »
                First deacade does have textures There are games like RENEGADE that has its own configuration tool for it in there, which I play.

Wow, excellent observation. except for:

.i am having trouble with Command & Conquer the first decade (combines all the C&C games into one pack), in particular the original Command & Conquer and Red Alert

Those two do NOT have textures, and their graphics are relatively simple, and so could not "lock up" a graphics card like a newer game such as crysis or fallout 3 might to a aged card. I'd say the card was too New for the games, but I can play every game in the first decade perfectly fine aside from the very first one which runs but has palette issues.

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

paries669

Rookie

• Experience: Experienced
                  « Reply #12 on: February 16, 2010, 01:52:55 PM »

Those two do NOT have textures, and their graphics are relatively simple, and so could not "lock up"

Right those two don't it has been a while since I played them, and their were all sorts of patches to download for them. There might be some to prevent crashing and with the first decade you have to know what folder to install or put them in for exampleC:\Programfiles\EA Games and whatever game your patching. I say that because before the first decade came out it was C:\Westwood and some of the patches are old and might try to install there automatically, are you having problems with any other games?????
                  « Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 02:13:58 PM by paries669 »
                  greetz  jonny