Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: XP Home to XP PRO  (Read 4704 times)

unarmedmaster

Topic Starter

Rookie
    XP Home to XP PRO
    « on: February 25, 2010, 12:20:02 PM »
    Hello,

I have an old computer sitting around that currently has XP Home. I have an XP Pro Disc/Key and am looking ot upgrade it. when I try to do the upgrade from the xp pro disc, I get the error that "my version of windows is too new" which leaves me to believe that the only way im going to be able to upgrade is with a new install. If i remember correctly i had to do the same thing when i went from vista 32 to 7 64 on my other comp. Will this upgrade from home to pro via install when i boot from the disc erease all my data?

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: XP Home to XP PRO
    « Reply #1 on: February 25, 2010, 12:32:02 PM »
    You can do an in-place upgrade. Boot to the XP Pro cd and let it upgrade your installation. DO NOT format. There's never any harm in backing up critical data. Even better, use disk imaging software.

Azzaboi

Apprentice
    • Aaron's Game Zone
      • Aaron's Game Zone
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #2 on: February 25, 2010, 12:51:14 PM »
    Officially it’s impossible to upgrade XP Home to XP Pro, as far as Microsoft thinks, they are one of the same. However, PRO is must better and more stable. Normally the way to do it is backup all data and reformat. There is a hack if you want to try it:

1.Open Registry Editor (Start / Run / regedit).
    2.Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/ControlSet00X/Control/ProductOptions, where ControlSet00X is the one with the highest number.
    3.Delete the ProductSuite registry key (backup first using export key option is recommended).
    4.Then, create a new DWORD value and named it as Brand.
    5.Set the “Brand” value data as 0.
    6.Reboot the system.
    7.On boot up after the BIOS screen, press F8 to display Windows
     XP Startup Menu.
    8.Choose Last Known Good Configuration (LNG) and hit Enter.
    Windows XP will start up as usual. After logging into the desktop, check the system properties to verify that it’s now Windows XP Professional.

Now, it's not really WinXP Pro and doesn't have the features, but the OS at least thinks it is now.

You should be able to use your WinXP Pro CD and re-install the OS over top without lossing any data.
    Aaron's Game Zone
    The best free online flash games: http://azzaboi.weebly.com

Play Games - Play free games at Play Games Arcade

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #3 on: February 25, 2010, 12:52:47 PM »
    Pro isn't any more stable then home... they use the exact same kernel...
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

unarmedmaster

Topic Starter

Rookie
      « Reply #4 on: February 25, 2010, 12:56:26 PM »
      You can do an in-place upgrade. Boot to the XP Pro cd and let it upgrade your installation. DO NOT format. There's never any harm in backing up critical data. Even better, use disk imaging software.

so just to verify this will only write over the windows xp home data not my documents and such. Also the key is an upgrade key. Will it still alow me to use that key?

Allan

• Mastermind
      « Reply #5 on: February 25, 2010, 01:08:31 PM »
      That's exactly what you are doing, upgrading.

Allan

• Mastermind
      « Reply #6 on: February 25, 2010, 01:09:04 PM »
      Officially it’s impossible to upgrade XP Home to XP Pro, as far as Microsoft thinks, they are one of the same.
      What the *censored* are you talking about??
      « Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 01:51:14 PM by Allan »

Azzaboi

Apprentice
      • Aaron's Game Zone
        • Aaron's Game Zone
      « Reply #7 on: February 25, 2010, 01:18:43 PM »
      I said it's more stable, because of the features for duo-core and quad-core computers:

Multi-processor support - Windows XP Pro supports up to two microprocessors, while Home Edition supports only one.

It also has Automated System Recovery (ASR), removed the Backup utility of XP Home.

Dynamic Disk Support, Home doesn't support this (for newer hard drives).

http://www.williamaford.com/XPHomevsXPPro.php

I wouldn't be caught dead using Home version of any Microsoft Product... but maybe thats just me and my 100% never crashed OS (for anything microsoft I think that's pretty good) - WinXP PRO SP3 32bit and Win7 Ultimate 64bit.  ;)

As for 'unarmedmaster' question:

The above I posted is a hack to get around the issue of WinXP detecting a newer version of Windows and refusing to install. Only use it if you need to.

The issue you are facing is that you can't upgrade on a full cd version. There is upgrade CDs but I'm sure those are for early version like Windows 98 to XP, etc, so wouldn't help either.

Since Win XP Home has been updated online, it is (in Microsoft eyes), newer than the WinXP Pro on the disc.

The idea is to not lose any data of your exisiting windows, as for the Windows Key I'm not 100% sure how it will affect it. Home wouldn't accept the product ID of XP Pro, and via versa. You can change the product key from registry as well if needed, but it should complain and let you reactivate the OS anyways.
      Aaron's Game Zone

Allan

• Mastermind
      « Reply #8 on: February 25, 2010, 01:20:30 PM »
      You have absolutely no idea what you are talking. None. Zip. I don't think there is one intelligent or factual statement in your posts.

unarmedmaster - Please ignore all posts by Azzaboi.

Azzaboi

Apprentice
      • Aaron's Game Zone
        • Aaron's Game Zone
      « Reply #9 on: February 25, 2010, 01:24:28 PM »
      Oh ouch, thats hurts Allan  :-\
      I not telling anyone what to do or not to do, but I do research all my answers, I don't post crap...

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2008/06/13/convert-and-upgrade-windows-xp-home-to-professional-without-reinstalling/
      Aaron's Game Zone

Allan

• Mastermind
      « Reply #10 on: February 25, 2010, 01:26:03 PM »
      You don't understand what you are reading or posting. Please - when you don't know what you are talking about it's best to be silent.

Azzaboi

Apprentice
      • Aaron's Game Zone
        • Aaron's Game Zone
      « Reply #11 on: February 25, 2010, 01:32:58 PM »
      I fully understand the question, he is having issues with upgrading as it saying the current version is too new:

I have an XP Pro Disc/Key and am looking ot upgrade it. when I try to do the upgrade from the xp pro disc, I get the error that "my version of windows is too new" which leaves me to believe that the only way im going to be able to upgrade is with a new install.

I already knew this issue and heard of that hack (fake it's version) which will allow a reinstall of XP Pro overtop without losing data. The only other way I know is to backup the data and re-format (but it was just another option).

I wish all the best in the upgrade and not to fight.
      Aaron's Game Zone

Allan

• Mastermind
      « Reply #12 on: February 25, 2010, 01:38:37 PM »
      I already knew this issue and heard of that hack (fake it's version) which will allow a reinstall of XP Pro overtop without losing data. The only other way I know is to backup the data and re-format (but it was just another option).
      Again, you don't know what you are talking about. PLEASE stop.

unarmedmaster

Topic Starter

Rookie
        « Reply #13 on: February 25, 2010, 01:48:51 PM »
        I have known of that registry hack but would rather not do it. The Inplace upgrade from what im reading is the best idea for me since it wont erease my data.

Allan

• Mastermind
        « Reply #14 on: February 25, 2010, 01:49:58 PM »
        Exactly.