Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows 7 stability update causes instability...  (Read 2945 times)

Allan

Topic Starter

• Mastermind
  • Experience: Guru
Windows 7 stability update causes instability...
« on: February 09, 2010, 11:57:00 AM »
Some Windows 7 users have reported that their PCs started to freeze or randomly display the infamous 'Blue screen of death' after applying a January update Microsoft billed as a stability and reliability fix.

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/news/index.cfm?newsid=3212223

jkolak

Hopeful
    Re: Windows 7 stability update causes instability...
    « Reply #1 on: February 10, 2010, 01:57:48 AM »
    Oh dear, not more of the same....

Just when we thought MS was getting their act together!

I just did an in-place upgrade of Vista to 7. The network adapter driver was working fine in Vista, AND it was working fine in the initial operation of 7.

But that wasn't good enough. Windows update wanted to deploy an optional update of the driver, which I accepted, and then the network adapter stopped working!

So now it's offline, and I get to go to the joy of downloading the Win7 driver from the VIA website on another computer.

Ha! It won't install!

Finally after fighting with this for awhile, I manually delete the driver in Explorer and reinstall from my download.

Finally all good and running and deselect the Optional Update from Windows Update. Not taking a chance on that again...

I could go on with separate issues I had in installing 2 of the in-place upgrades, but that's 'nuff said for now!!!  8)

Allan

Topic Starter

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Windows 7 stability update causes instability...
    « Reply #2 on: February 10, 2010, 06:36:38 AM »
    1) I did an in place upgrade of Vista Ultimate to 7 Ultimate several months ago and have had zero problems
    2) NEVER accept or use drivers from Windows Update
    3) After installing an OS and seeing that it is running as expected, the FIRST thing you should do is create a "core" disk image to which you can return if needed.