Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: USB Devices becoming unrecognized  (Read 4316 times)

marter

Topic Starter

Starter

USB Devices becoming unrecognized
    « on: February 10, 2010, 08:57:53 AM »
    Hello everyone,

I have been having this problem for quite a while now, and it is starting to become much more frequent. While using my laptop, the only USB device I use regularly is my mouse. If I leave my mouse in the same position for almost any amount of time, (not moving if for about 3 minutes), the cursor disappears from the screen, and my mouse becomes an unrecognized USB device. After this occurs, no other USB device will work. I then have to reboot the laptop and remove the battery for a while in order to use my mouse and other USB devices again.

Is there anything I can do to fix this? Will I have to send my laptop in to get fixed? Hopefully you will be able to help me.

The laptop I'm using is a Dell Inspiron 15, running Windows Vista 32bit Starter Pack 2. It has 2GB of ram, and the processor is an Intel Pentium Dual CPU T3400 @ 2.16GHz

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: USB Devices becoming unrecognized
    « Reply #1 on: February 10, 2010, 09:09:29 AM »
    Check the power settings for usb in Control Panel

marter

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2010, 09:13:16 AM »
      Do you mean the one where it says "USB selective suspend setting"? That is disabled for both On Battery and Plugged In.

Allan

• Mastermind
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #3 on: February 10, 2010, 09:16:11 AM »
      Yes, that was it. You said this started a while ago. Do you recall what changed between the last time you did not have this problem and the first time you did?

Have you tried a clean boot to see if the problem is still present with nothing else loading?

marter

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2010, 05:08:33 PM »
        No, nothing that I can think of. For a clean boot, do you mean safe mode? If so, I'm running safe mode right now, as for some reason my computer has also started to completely freeze. This began earlier this morning, and I don't know why. I just tried booting it up, and once at the desktop, it froze. My mouse is working just fine in safe mode. I'll have to see if it continues working, or if it is just temporary though.