Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Virus seesm to have bricked my laptop  (Read 2216 times)

jamst149

Virus seesm to have bricked my laptop
« on: February 21, 2010, 04:04:33 PM »
So my laptop recently acquired a virus.  I had some sort of "windows security alert" popping up out of nowhere (hadn't downloaded any such program).  Anyway at some point must have restarted my pc and bam I was screwed.  No icons on desktop.  Things that normally load in the lower right hand tray (zonealarm etc etc) were not there.  Could connect to internet even though my wireless connection was intact.  And any application I attempted to open would bring up the "open with" box.  In safe mode I tried system restore, AVF free, malware bytes and ad aware.  None of this worked.

So then I remembered I had a HDD backup on an external.  I tried to boot from it and thats when my pc basically bricked.  I got a blue screen of death.  Anytime I try and boot from the internal or external now I get the message "a disc error occured press ctrl+alt+dlt to restart" but it never works I just keep getting this same error.

SO I guess my question is is there a way to overwrite (not sure if thats the right work) my backup HDD onto my laptops internal HDD?  Seems that is my only option now as I can't boot windows

Dusty

Egghead

• I could if she would, but she won't so I don't.
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Virus seesm to have bricked my laptop
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2010, 01:21:15 AM »
Welcome to the CH forums.

So then I remembered I had a HDD backup on an external.

How was this backup created?  Does your bios permit booting from a usb device?

Can you still start up in Safe mode?
One good deed is worth more than a year of good intentions.