Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Flashing Bios  (Read 4606 times)

datajuan

Flashing Bios
« on: June 04, 2005, 09:58:22 PM »
My subject is a gateway notebook Model = Solo 5300. I recently flashed the BIOS. The flash program came from gateway's website and it was supposed to be for the 5300. WHen i finshed flashing, the unit will not load windows 2K. I get a blue screen. The message basically says that the new BIOS does not support ACPI. Anyway, this situation has brought me to two things. I would like to erase the new BIOS and reinstall. I have a second notebook with the same original BIOS and want ti copy the one from my other notebook. But i am not sure how to safely clear the new BIOS.
I've taken the top off the 5300. On the motherboard are two dip switches. The first switch has 2 positions.
It rests in a box that says "NO OP". The switch can then be moved to a second position which says "CMOS CLEAR".
The second switch rests in a box marked "NO OP". It can be moved to a box which says "BIOS UPDATE".
Is it necessary to move these switches in conjunction with the BIOS FLASH proceedure? Gateway technical support was almost useless. They simply reinforce the proceedure given on the gateway site, and cannot explain why the first flash is returning the ACPI message.
If this is too technically specific, maybe someone could refer me to a solid proceedure for flashing the BIOS on this application. Also, how do i copy the BIOS from the second laptop? Thankyou - datajuan

Raptor

Re: Flashing Bios
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2005, 06:31:35 AM »
You can attempt to reflash the CMOS with an old BIOS that may be obtainable from the Gateway website.

No amount of resetting the CMOS will work as the it will only reset the BIOS to its default settings. And since you have flashed your BIOS, the original BIOS is gone.

I do not give it much chance, you may have wrecked your mainboard by not reading properly.

Raptor

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2005, 06:32:54 AM »
1. maybe someone could refer me to a solid proceedure for flashing the BIOS on this application.

2. Also, how do i copy the BIOS from the second laptop?

1. Only flash the BIOS according to the manufacturers instructions.

2. Unless it has a Dual BIOS installed, I would not know how. Dual BIOS is only available to Gigabyte mainboards as far as I know.

datajuan

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2005, 07:55:04 AM »
If i wrecked the board as you put it it would not be from not following directions. I did "exactly" what Gateway instructs. Not only that, i talked with their "technicians" and they repeated the same instructions. Thankyou for the help though. I will continue researching.

datajuan

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2005, 08:05:51 AM »
By the way, before my questions go too far afield, I still would like to know the use of those switches on the board. How would they be used if i had not yet flashed the BIOS? Thanks

datajuan

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2005, 08:17:44 AM »
Also, regarding using another BIOS flash from an older application, that was suggested by the gateway site and I did try flashing with the BIOS from a Solo 5150. And for others who might experience something similar, there is a workaround. I didn't fully understand it, but in the Blue Screen was a suggestion to hold down the F7 key when you are prompted to install storage drivers, and that the OS could then be used. As i say, i didn't understand it but it seemed like way too much to do every time I booted.

Raptor

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2005, 08:19:08 AM »
If i wrecked the board as you put it it would not be from not following directions. I did "exactly" what Gateway instructs. Not only that, i talked with their "technicians" and they repeated the same instructions. Thankyou for the help though. I will continue researching.

You have used the correct BIOS update?

If so, then you may simply need to manually configure
the BIOS.

I do not know what the No Op/CMOS Update switches are for, I would assume that these are security related and prevent users from flashing the BIOS.

However, the CMOS Clear switch is used to reset the BIOS to its default settings. The default settings within the BIOS currently installed, not to reset the CMOS back to the BIOS that came with the computer. That has been removed after flashing.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2005, 08:24:25 AM by Raptor »

Computer_Commando

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2005, 09:40:08 AM »
...Is it necessary to move these switches in conjunction with the BIOS FLASH proceedure? ...

You would think Gateway would be able to provide this information.  Call them again and inisist on speaking with a supervisor.  Eventually, you might get connected with someone who knows something about computers.  You've got to get past their Call Center.  If your question is not in their database, they won't be able to help you.

BTW, are you a Gateway Call Center employee?  I't wouldn't be the first time that the call centers tried to find their answers here.

Juan D Connaughton

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2005, 11:42:41 AM »
No. But that brought a smile. I appreciate gateway's 24 hr on line help so i don't like complaining. But... some of their technicians are less then adequate. I am generally very cautious about following their recommendations. I use them just as you suggested. To help me research what is already available somewhere in their database. As i said, the advice they gave was identical to the proceedure outlined in the text file that was included in the BIOS flash folder. One of the guys did send me to the Asus motherboard website. He gave me a file name and told me to  download it and flash with it. It was waay to vague. If i had followed that, i would really be in trouble. As it is, i can access the Bios. And if i could fiqure out what is being suggested in the workaround from the "Blue Sreen" i could enter the OS. I'm taking my time and trying to learn here. I own a # of laptops and a few desktops so I'm not stymied [??] I would like to fiqure this out. I need to come across someone who has worked with the board and BIOS on this application. Again, thankyou for your input.

Computer_Commando

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2005, 02:19:08 PM »
...As it is, i can access the Bios....

Then it isn't dead, yet.  I wonder why ACPI is not supported on new BIOS, if it was supported in old BIOS?  Is there a setting in the BIOS for ACPI?  If yes, then enable it.
http://www.computerhope.com/jargon/a/acpi.htm

datajuan

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2005, 03:04:37 PM »
No ACPI setting.

merlin_2

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2005, 03:27:21 PM »
Maybe the option is not gateway.....but phoenix/adward.

what happens if you chose setup defaults in the bios setup screen options.....?

datajuan

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2005, 03:27:35 PM »
Maybe the option is not gateway.....but phoenix/adward.

what happens if you chose setup defaults in the bios setup screen options.....?

Still will not load the OS.

datajuan

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2005, 03:31:39 PM »
I wanted to add to this post for future readers regarding clearing BIOS password.
On the Solo 9300 I cleared the password by removing the keyboard and accessing a small battery pack. Unplugging the battery for a day cleared the password. It may not need all that time.

Computer_Commando

« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2005, 03:49:14 PM »
This doesn't help, but explains why there is no APCI setting in BIOS.
BIOS Power Management settings

This is what Microsoft says:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=256841&sd=RMVP