Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Freezing and Jumpy Gaming  (Read 4517 times)

jimbot182

Freezing and Jumpy Gaming
« on: March 15, 2010, 10:47:10 AM »
Hi people, i have a really confusing problem here that no other forum seems to be able to resolves. The situation is that i cant seem to play pc games without it stopping and starting. I've been able to play them fine in the past (~ 2yrs ago) but having trouble now. The games in question are HalfLife2, Mafia, Max Payne2 and Deus Ex2. These are fairly old games and my pc is quite capable of running them easy (system spec below). Ive tried everything i can think of and what other people have suggested - but no luck!! This includes Uninstalling/reinstalling my graphics card with all the different NVIDIA driver updates (78.89, 91.31 and 175.19). Uninstalling/reinstalling drivers for SoundMAX. Uninstalling/reinstalling the games. Tryng all the games on highest and lowest settings. Trying games using directx 9.b and 9.c.  I cant for the life of me think what the problem is!! I was woundering if video and audio codecs may cause it?? Please could anyone help? Thanks.

System:

Dell Dimension 4600i
Intel Pentium 4 CPU 3.00GHz, 2.99GHz
2.5MB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce FX5200
Windows XP Home Ed. Service Pack3

the_mad_joker

Apprentice

Re: Freezing and Jumpy Gaming
    « Reply #1 on: March 16, 2010, 01:50:06 AM »
    2.5MB RAM

So Much RAM  8)

the_mad_joker

Apprentice

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2010, 01:50:46 AM »
      stopping and starting

Could You Please Upload Some Screenshots  ???

Treval

Hopeful

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2010, 05:14:52 AM »
        I wonder why people post such crappy systems and then wonder why their game runs slow.
        I have to have 6 GB of RAM to run AOEIII fluently on max. =P

slow and jumpy symptoms relate to:
        - little/slow RAM
        - hard drive
        - hard drive virtual memory being used because your system ran out of RAM
          and it has to swap between RAM and hdd space all the time (RAM=fast, HDD=slow)

Also that video card is not awesome.. here's why.
        It's a low end video card!! Low end!!
        PEOPLE STOP BUYING BUDGET SYSTEMS *censored* IT!
        They won't get you to run great games smoothly. =)

2 pixel pipeline... well I rest my case.

mroilfield

Mentor
          • Yes
          • Yes
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Experienced
        « Reply #4 on: March 26, 2010, 12:37:46 AM »
        I wonder why people post such crappy systems and then wonder why their game runs slow.

Not every one can afford the latest and greatest.

PEOPLE STOP BUYING BUDGET SYSTEMS *censored* IT!

I guess you have enough money just laying around that you can share with every one so they can afford to buy better systems.

How about instead of just saying some one has a crappy system you do something constructive and try to help them with their problem. If you read all of the OP you will see that the system in question was previously able to run the games in question with no problems yet now it can't.

Jimbot182,

When was the last time your system had a really good cleaning?

What size hard drive do you have and how much space is available?

When was the last time you scanned for virus/spyware?

Have you noticed any other problems with your system other then with games?

How long have you had this problem?

What changes if any were made to your system prior to this problem arising?
        You can't fix Stupid!!!

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
        • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • BC-Programming.com
        • Certifications: List
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #5 on: March 26, 2010, 02:36:24 AM »
        Not every one can afford the latest and greatest.

True, but consider that they <did> have enough to buy the games, and a way better graphics card can probably be had for 30-40 dollars. But, given it used to work fine in this config and doesn't that's just a band-aid solution.

These are fairly old games and my pc is quite capable of running them easy

Not necessarily. Sure, you meet the minimum requirements, but those are generally meaningless. As Treval points out, the 5200FX sucked even when it was released.

That being said, I cannot say for sure wether this is the cause for the issues; I ran Half-life 2 quite comfortably on a 1.6Ghz P4, 1GB of RAM and a 256MB 5500FX (at 1440x900).

In an interesting twist, I found when I switched from an older generic Sound Blaster PCI to an Audigy SE that performance in everything dropped dramatically; even zdoom lagged unplayably. This turned out to be because the Audigy was not actually processing sound data, but the actual "sound card" was really just a software emulation of the DSP processor chip, since the "Audigy" SE doesn't actually have a "Audigy" chip, which was probably why it was 20 bucks.

Since "SoundMAX" is a integrated Audio Solution and a lot of integrated Audio solutions defer almost all their processing to the Processor, Combined with the fact  that your working with a single core processor, you could try reducing sound quality settings both within the game as well as in your control panel. (namely, reduce sampling rate and bit-width). Try an older Audio driver.

video and audio codecs

No. That doesn't even make sense. Video and Audio Coder/Decoders are used for Decoding things like Mpeg video and DVDs. They have absolutely nothing to do with games (except maybe in-game movies).

Only other thing I can think of is a full reinstall of windows, but that's an awful lot of effort that is best avoided.
        I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Treval

Hopeful

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2010, 04:00:55 AM »
          I suggest running an analysis of defragmentation:

start -> all programs -> accessoires -> system tools -> disk defragmenter

Run 'analyze' on all disks and if it says "This disk should be defragmented", then do so.
          Also check to see if your C:\ (or system drive (where Windows is installed in)) has enough free space
          (by enough I mean at least 1 GB; e.g. 100 MB free space is definitely a problem).

Try to reinstall your chipset drivers. Maybe some people here can tell you how to do that. =P