Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Laptop Randomly Shuts Off  (Read 3134 times)

megv1023

Laptop Randomly Shuts Off
« on: March 25, 2010, 07:16:24 AM »
I am having a problem with my Satellite Laptop. It was bought about 3 years ago and works fine except at random times during the day and night, whether we are using it or not, the computer completely shuts down. We have Windows Vista. I'm not real computer savvy so if you need to know more info about the computer ask and I will try and find out.

Thank You in Advance for your help.

Allan

• Mastermind
  • Experience: Guru
Re: Laptop Randomly Shuts Off
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2010, 07:24:47 AM »
Based on the scant information you've provided it could be pretty much anything from a bad power supply to failing hardware to, well, pretty much any number of things.

killerb255

Adviser
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #2 on: March 25, 2010, 11:51:08 AM »
    How old is that satellite laptop?

Certain satellite laptops with Mobile Pentium 4 Prescott CPUs were notorious for overheating (and shutting themselves off as a result).

If it's still under warranty (highly unlikely), call Toshiba.

If it's not...then try cleaning out the vent holes with canned air.  You may have to go as far as removing and reseating the heat sink (using new thermal paste, of course).  Even then, the P4 Satellites will still give you grief.

Otherwise, try one of those laptop cooling pads and NEVER remove the laptop from it...
    Quote from: talontromper
    Part of the problem is most people don't generally deal with computer problems. So for most they think that close enough is good enough.

Alias

Rookie

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2010, 03:57:44 PM »
      How old is that satellite laptop?

Certain satellite laptops with Mobile Pentium 4 Prescott CPUs were notorious for overheating (and shutting themselves off as a result).

If it's still under warranty (highly unlikely), call Toshiba.

If it's not...then try cleaning out the vent holes with canned air.  You may have to go as far as removing and reseating the heat sink (using new thermal paste, of course).  Even then, the P4 Satellites will still give you grief.

Otherwise, try one of those laptop cooling pads and NEVER remove the laptop from it...
      oh yeah Something like that happens to my old XPS laptop. My suggestion is getting a laptop cooler. If that fails then take it to a trusted repair shop.
      I R TEH MASTAR ODST!

Allan

• Mastermind
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #4 on: March 25, 2010, 03:58:41 PM »
      oh yeah Something like that happens to my old XPS laptop. My suggestion is getting a laptop cooler. If that fails then take it to a trusted repair shop.
      Well, there you go  ::)

Alias

Rookie

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2010, 04:06:06 PM »
        Well, there you go  ::)
        are you mocking me? or... Sorry i'm slow like that. :-[
        I R TEH MASTAR ODST!