Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Connecting a fan to an IDE power connector  (Read 2443 times)

Raptor

Connecting a fan to an IDE power connector
« on: July 09, 2005, 01:07:24 PM »
Story time![/i]

I just know that you are all dying to listen to one my most exciting and excruciating stories that you wish all to be part of. Well, now you can! Sort of.

A while ago I requested information how to convert a normal fan connector to an IDE connector.

I recently obtained a sort of plastic building blocks (much like lego, I forgot the name as soon as I obtained one at the hardware store. Bless my memory for keeping the TTL high enough.)

When I finally decided to try and convert the fan, I figured I'd first test it on an older machine with an AT PSU. I'd take an old CPU Fan with 2 IDE connectors and cut it loose near the IDE connector where two wires went in. Then I figured I'd reconnect it with the building blocks in order to see if it'd still work. It did not. After much rematching and recutting I tried another fan. A CPU fan with an IDE connector. However, this IDE connector only had two IDE plugs. Perfect.

I cut it in half (The cable, that is) and reconnected it using the building blocks. My newly found skill worked brilliantly. I then proceeded with the Q-tec 80MM Fan and cut off the motherboard fan connector, after that I simply took the building blocks and connected the Q-tec 80MM Fan to the IDE cable connector with two connector pins.

I never had high ideals when it came to photography.

Thanks to Dummy2K for telling me I had to match the wire colours. It could have been messy otherwise.

merlin_2

Re: Connecting a fan to an IDE power connector
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2005, 01:54:57 PM »
What pcb suppose to do! and caps above it! are you build a time machince.......and the back of the case has been hacked! i said red/black? you need a new case to play with i feel?my son has done some think simular to this ......are you a libra?

Raptor

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2005, 01:59:29 PM »
No Libra here. Plenty of time capulses in our storage room. Hardware dating back 10 years.. If not more, ancient ST-157A HDD. Anyone interested?

It is an older AT Mini-tower case with the hull stripped off for easier access. It is a computer used only for testing purpose. And to play older games on, ofcourse.

I would not dare perform such an experiment on my other computers.

The fan is running even now whilst connected to the AT machine. I want to make certain that I will not face any unpleasant surprises when connecting it to my other machine.

merlin_2

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2005, 02:10:45 PM »
Maybe a three board case for gamers is needed.<Now that what i call a project>...and someone to pay the electric bill.......

So this>>>>>>>>> as a bodge will be suspended on paper clips hung from the inside of the case!
« Last Edit: July 09, 2005, 02:10:56 PM by merlin_2 »

Raptor

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2005, 02:17:35 PM »
Actually, I do have the original screws. But paperclips are a good idea.

D-I-Y is F-U-N. '

:D