Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: MS Security Essentials and other progs.Can they work together ???  (Read 2733 times)

Eric1611

Topic Starter

Beginner

I run Vista,Spyware Blaster and Avast.Now MS has security "essentials" out and I would like to know if I can run them all or must I close one? (Maybe 2?).
    What are the best programs to keep and what must I throw away ?

All the best;Eric.

[recovering disk space - old attachment deleted by admin]
    Christmas is a time when kids tell Santa what they want and adults pay for it. Deficits are when adults tell the government what they want - and their kids pay for it.
    Richard Lamm.

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: MS Security Essentials and other progs.Can they work together ???
    « Reply #1 on: April 02, 2010, 06:39:16 AM »
    You should not have more than one Anti Virus utility resident / active at any given time. Other than that you're fine (I'm also a big fan of SpywareBlaster).

Eric1611

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2010, 06:45:27 AM »
      So if I`m right I must shut down MS Security Essentials,keep Avast as my Anti-Virus program and keep Spy-ware blaster(Because it`s a spyware program and no a.v. program).I downloaded blaster because of your advice(A while ago!)and I love it !..Thanks..AGAIN....

Greetings;Eric.

MS again...Hard to remove,I`ll have to force remove it !!!
      Christmas is a time when kids tell Santa what they want and adults pay for it. Deficits are when adults tell the government what they want - and their kids pay for it.
      Richard Lamm.

Allan

• Mastermind
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #3 on: April 02, 2010, 06:49:23 AM »
      You can have as many NON - RESIDENT apps as you like. For example, Spyware Blaster does not run resident, so it doesn't matter what else you have. And I've not used MS Essentials but if there is a way to keep the AV portion from running resident you can certainly keep it on your system and run Avast as your resident AV (or vice versa).

Eric1611

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2010, 07:33:13 AM »
        I just have a computer for a bit of mail and so.(AND when I do something stupid and have to ask you for help ! :) )For 99% of the time I run my studio on it,so I don`t have a clue about;"resident" and so.I very much appreciate the help but I have my hands full with Pro-Tools and so,even after a few years of working with a "soft-studio" I only know a few % of it all.I`ll learn from my mistakes and the stuff I`m tought on this forum but I would like (for now) to keep it as simple as possible.That is why I`m happy with your direct answers.It`s not that I don`t appreciate the help but I`ve made(until about 6 years ago)some "mistakes" in my life and my mind can get chaotic.

Thanks again;Eric.

PS;Might you know if I must set my open-GL to tripple buffering ???
        Richard Lamm.