Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: HELP ME PLEASE:I need a program like Darik`s Boot & Nuke !  (Read 3744 times)

Eric1611

Topic Starter

Beginner

I need a program like Darik`s Boot & Nuke but not a iso-file !
    Is there a program that does the same(TOTALLY wipe my hard-drives)but not a iso file but a "normal" binary file.(I can`t work with iso !).
    (I run Vista).
    Christmas is a time when kids tell Santa what they want and adults pay for it. Deficits are when adults tell the government what they want - and their kids pay for it.
    Richard Lamm.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: HELP ME PLEASE:I need a program like Darik`s Boot & Nuke !
    « Reply #1 on: April 13, 2010, 03:38:32 AM »
    (I can`t work with iso !).

why not?

not a iso file but a "normal" binary file.

Ok, let me get this straight, you want to completely wipe your hard drive from within windows with a windows program. That isn't going to happen.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

EEVIAC

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2010, 03:40:16 AM »
    How are you going to wipe your hard drive if the program you are using to do so is installed on the hard drive itself ?

If you don't want to use DBN, just boot up your installation CD, delete all partitions and format the hard drive as one whole partition... As I stated in the other thread you started..

http://vistaenterprise.windowsreinstall.com/installnewhdd/installnewhdd.htm

Use the guide...  When you get to the part where is shows all the current partitions on your computer, select DRIVE OPTIONS (Advanced) and delete all the partitions... Proceed with the instructions afterward.

mr-bisquit

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2010, 04:02:33 PM »
    Maybe the OP doesn't know how to burn or disk nor did the OP bother looking up the slackware install documents. There's a piece on installing from an image. The same method could be used for any iso.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    « Reply #4 on: April 13, 2010, 04:49:40 PM »
    Maybe the OP doesn't know how to burn or disk nor did the OP bother looking up the slackware install documents. There's a piece on installing from an image. The same method could be used for any iso.

I'm confused how slackware became relevant. Nor do I see how one would logically decide to look at slackware installation documents when trying to burn a DBAN iso.

mr-bisquit

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2010, 05:28:01 PM »
    http://www.slackware.com/faq/do_faq.php?faq=installation#1

Does this answer your question?
    All the OP has to do is load the kernel path.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    « Reply #6 on: April 13, 2010, 05:46:50 PM »
    http://www.slackware.com/faq/do_faq.php?faq=installation#1

Does this answer your question?
    No. None of that is even remotely relevant.

He's not running Slackware. he isn't even running Linux. you're basically suggesting he download and install (or live boot) a Linux distro, which will put him right back where he started (Linux distro's are ISO files usually) for the express purpose of... what? the FAQ asks the question:

Q:     How do I install from the ISO9660 image if I don't have a CD-R or CD-RW drive (or "I have no way to burn this image that I just downloaded.")?

First, he's trying to run Darik's Boot and Nuke. he's not trying to install slackware. Or any Linux distro, for that matter.

Second, the instructions refer to booting from the slackware live CD, mounting an ISO file- and then running the slackware setup using the mounted drive as the source for the slackware install. The DBAN disk needs to be booted from. It doesn't contain any install files.

Third: this still doesn't explain this:

nor did the OP bother looking up the slackware install documents

That doesn't make any sense. Why would looking at the slackware install documents be "common sense" (as is implied here) when trying to burn a ISO file on a windows Vista System?

All the OP has to do is load the kernel path.

what the <blink> are you talking about? seriously? I can see the relevance if he was trying to install a Linux distro, but he's trying to burn a ISO from windows Vista. Totally different. Sure, he could use a Linux Distro to clear out all the partitions on the drive, but he'll still need to burn the Distro's ISO.

Eric1611: burn the DBAN ISO using IMGBurn and boot from it.

Also, you realize that by erasing everything you will no longer have anything on the drive- and your system will no longer boot from the hard drive? Do you have an OS disc or "recovery" disc?

EDIT: I also found an (older, I believe) version that can be used from a floppy disk:

http://download.cnet.com/3001-2094_4-10911312.html?spi=d87be987bd7e5e61dc2f0dee9b835e7a

EEVIAC

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2010, 05:57:24 PM »

Eric1611: burn the DBAN ISO using IMGBurn and boot from it.

I actually suggested image burn in the OPs original thread over in the Vista forum, but I accidentally edited my first post and forgot post the link again.  :P

mr-bisquit

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2010, 06:04:09 PM »
    No. None of that is even remotely relevant.

He's not running Slackware. he isn't even running Linux. you're basically suggesting he download and install (or live boot) a Linux distro, which will put him right back where he started (Linux distro's are ISO files usually) for the express purpose of... what? the FAQ asks the question:

Q:     How do I install from the ISO9660 image if I don't have a CD-R or CD-RW drive (or "I have no way to burn this image that I just downloaded.")?

First, he's trying to run Darik's Boot and Nuke. he's not trying to install slackware. Or any Linux distro, for that matter.

Second, the instructions refer to booting from the slackware live CD, mounting an ISO file- and then running the slackware setup using the mounted drive as the source for the slackware install. The DBAN disk needs to be booted from. It doesn't contain any install files.

Third: this still doesn't explain this:

That doesn't make any sense. Why would looking at the slackware install documents be "common sense" (as is implied here) when trying to burn a ISO file on a windows Vista System?

what the <blink> are you talking about? seriously? I can see the relevance if he was trying to install a Linux distro, but he's trying to burn a ISO from windows Vista. Totally different. Sure, he could use a Linux Distro to clear out all the partitions on the drive, but he'll still need to burn the Distro's ISO.

I'm not going to bother nitpicking.

This is a howto for mounting an iso of any sort without burning it to disk. There is a boot file on the image.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    « Reply #9 on: April 13, 2010, 06:07:14 PM »

I'm not going to bother nitpicking.

This is a howto for mounting an iso of any sort without burning it to disk. There is a boot file on the image.

Except he needs a bootable Linux disc. those come as ISOs.

mr-bisquit

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2010, 06:18:46 PM »
    Is the dban an iso? Yes.
    Does it have a boot file ?
    Yes
    Can it be used? Yes.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    « Reply #11 on: April 13, 2010, 06:57:19 PM »
    Is the dban an iso? Yes.
    Does it have a boot file ?
    Yes
    Can it be used? Yes.

I need a program like Darik`s Boot & Nuke but not a iso-file !

The original reason for this post is almost certainly the fact that the OP doesn't know <HOW> to burn ISO images, not that they don't have a burner. and if they don't have a burner, how are they going to boot into Linux to run the commands described in the FAQ?

I contend that they simply do not know how to burn ISO images, which is what prompted the original question.

Eric1611

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2010, 05:15:39 AM »
      Thank you ALL for your help !!! I`m in a total panic because it`s all gone wrong.My WHOLE studio(music)does not run anymore because someone else wrecked it for me !(And that`s my LIFE !).
      I ONLY use my computer for my studio(And a bit for mail and upgrades for my studio)and I`m NO computer guru ! I just now learned that it`s pure logic that if I want to wipe my drive I can`t do it from that drive ! I now have Darik on a usb card and Winzip too but I havn`t a clue where to go next ! For people who do this all day it might be easy but I`m thinking about throwing my drive away and buying a new one ! I`m not stupid,it`s just not my field of interest !
      I`m sorry if I acted stupidly,you can close this thread.(And the other one).
      To all people who helped me:THANKS.....Eric...
      Christmas is a time when kids tell Santa what they want and adults pay for it. Deficits are when adults tell the government what they want - and their kids pay for it.
      Richard Lamm.