Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Describe how these machines stored data?  (Read 6763 times)

turbomen

Topic Starter

Starter

Re: Describe how these machines stored data?
    « Reply #15 on: May 30, 2010, 10:57:09 PM »
    Honestly, it is not so secret because my lecturer advice me to "Use the Internet or any other reference material I can find to answer the question."  Are there any problem for me to ask the homework questions in here? 

Please let me know.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #16 on: May 30, 2010, 10:59:11 PM »
    Honestly, it is not so secret because my lecturer advice me to "Use the Internet or any other reference material I can find to answer the question."  Are there any problem for me to ask the homework questions in here? 

Please let me know.

Personally I don't think a forum counts as "reference" material.

If I was researching something, I'd probably look for more authoritative  answers. Geek-9pm has already given you a first step.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2010, 05:12:15 AM »
    Look at it from the teacher's point of view. One of the reasons for an information-gathering assignment is to give practice in research, and possibly to allow the teacher to tell which are the lazy or stupid students. When I did them, I was expected to give a description of the methods I used, the sources I found, and also a reflection on what I had learned. E.g I went to the library and looked in the Dewey catalog(ue) under Computing. I found the category [etc]. I further found subcategory [etc]. I found a number of books in stock and requested [etc]. I discovered that the Williams Tube was one of the first random-access memory devices used in early electronic digital computers. [etc] It worked by [etc]. It had a capacity of nnn binary bits [etc etc]. An example of the type of program run on this computer was one to calculate [etc]. Blah blah blah. I learned [whatever]. That's how you got an A. How you got a D or worse was "This is what a guy told me on a forum."

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #18 on: May 31, 2010, 08:20:22 AM »
    when doing research a common problem is the use of words or terms that are no longer in popular use today.here is one example, that tiny little iron rings that were used as a form of random access memory back to the very old days of computer technology. They were often called magnetic core memory, but the individual little rings were called magnetic beads. But if you do research today on the term magnetic bead in the lead you into a different direction because now the term magnetic bead is used for something on the cutting edge of modern technology. Not what you're looking for. You wanted something that was back in the past. The only link you will find is by doing search on magnetic core. Then you come up with the right answer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_core_memory