Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Last Ditch Effort  (Read 7129 times)

merlin_2

Re: Last Ditch Effort
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2005, 11:12:36 AM »
Try another monitor.? check the serial cable pins are not bent/broken?  chose setup defaults in the bios options...
« Last Edit: July 10, 2005, 03:06:02 PM by merlin_2 »

Cary_GRant

« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2005, 07:54:50 AM »
Try connecting just 1 of the monitor inputs to the card, either digital or analog. If the monitor works fine on another computer then the only basis for your problem will most likely be a bad videocard slot, the actual slots themselves have been known to be faulty and not supplying the required voltage. I do believe the reason nothing else is powering on your system is by default Windows has a "Stop" on boot errors preventing anything from powering up during the POST once it encounters a problem. If you have a Multi-Meter handy, check the videocard slot for voltage, should be about 3.3 volts for 8x-16x AGP slots, though it steps down if you stick an older 4x card in there as well. Hope you work it out. Cheers!

Gabriel_Knight

Topic Starter

Intermediate

• Chief Executive of Problem Acquisitions
    « Reply #17 on: July 12, 2005, 10:58:30 AM »
    If I were to replace the motherboard, I need an AMD Socket 754 DDR333(PC2700). Evidentally, the motherboard I have is the only one of its kind, according to my search on www.newegg.com. Can anyone else confirm this for me. Or I guess I will have to hunt down some RAM too.  :-[

Raptor

« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2005, 11:00:20 AM »
    You could do with a motherboard Socket 754 that supports PC3200 as well. You will just not utilize its full potentional.

merlin_2

« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2005, 03:52:41 PM »
    I would rebuild the system.<.http://www.buildyourowncomputer.net/learntobuild.html >>...otherwise you are going around in circles........imhao....and i would check that the case pins  |> are not shorting on the motherboard....
    « Last Edit: July 12, 2005, 03:53:52 PM by merlin_2 »

Gabriel_Knight

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2005, 11:43:55 PM »
      Everything is connected correctly. Where can I get a multimeter to test the voltage of the video card slot and how do i go about doing it.

Raptor

« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2005, 03:55:34 AM »
      Everything is connected correctly. Where can I get a multimeter to test the voltage of the video card slot and how do i go about doing it.

There is no such thing as a video card slot. It can be an ISA (Outdated) PCI (Near-outdated) AGP or PCI-E slot.

The voltage can often be adjusted (for AGP) in the BIOS. However, this is only meant for overclocking and I doubt it is meant for trouble shooting.

Gabriel_Knight

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2005, 09:20:18 AM »
        It's the AGP slot. If I know that it is bad, then I know I have to get a new motherboard. Please don't forget that the computer isn't booting up at all. It turns on and everthing, but the hard drive doesn't make any noise like it's booting up so it obviously isn't booting Windows. If that's the problem, how can I fix it.

merlin_2

« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2005, 11:08:52 AM »
        I would invest in a new motherboard.....

Gabriel_Knight

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2005, 11:31:36 PM »
          Can a bent pin in the monitor plug cause the hard drive not to start? Does the whole system halt because of it if it's the problem?

Raptor

« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2005, 05:09:49 AM »
          I have several older monitors with bent and missing pins, and none of them have ever caused a system to fail when booting.

Gabriel_Knight

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2005, 11:29:30 AM »
            None of the pins are bent. The only thing I can think of is the motherboard slot for the video card. The video card works fine in another system. The RAM has never been changed and is the correct compatibility. Now if I want to test the motherboard slot again I would need a motherboard with Socket 754 and PC2700(DDR333). Now if I get a motherboard that supports DDR400/333/200(?), then my RAM should work in it right? TIA.

Raptor

« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2005, 02:21:52 PM »
            Now if I want to test the motherboard slot again I would need a motherboard with Socket 754 and PC2700(DDR333). Now if I get a motherboard that supports DDR400/333/200(?), then my RAM should work in it right?

Yes.