Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Possible RAM issue  (Read 3537 times)

zpwR

Topic Starter

Possible RAM issue
    « on: June 06, 2010, 05:47:01 PM »
    Hello,

I am a gamer that has owned this computer for about 3 years now and has used the same OS since I bought this computer stock from Future Shop fully built. I have Windows Vista 32bit AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 6000+ 3.01 Ghz
    with 3 GB of ram.  I have a GeForce 9500 graphics card with a 445 watt PCU. I originally bought this computer built, then I upgraded my PCU from 300 watt to 445watt and upgraded a bad ATI 2400 HD card to the Geforce 9500.

That's the specs, heres the problem.  A few weeks back my computer would get a blue screen of death stop error.  The first error I didn't really notice the specific error, rebooted and kept playing. But it's quite recent now. Most of the time my computer will freeze in motion, usually when playing games and having multiple progams running. Sometimes I will reboot from the freeze and it will freeze requently after start-up. Hasn't done that recently though. After uninstalling new programs and recently installed drivers my computer will only freeze while playing League of Legends.  Doesn't freeze or blue screen in any other games or programs. I also get a beep error ocassionally, but ONLY after the freeze. It is ONE short beep and ONE long beep. I looked it up on google and it appears to be a motherboard issue. UGH! My computer manufacterer is HP and when I bought the computer it came with a Hardware Diagnostic Tools program that runs a test on the hardware. I ran a diagnostic on the motherboard which all passed until I came to the system memory and at that part I got a blue screen dumping physical memory with the STOP Error 0x1000007F: UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP_M
    error. I also received the STOP Error 0x00000008: IRQL_NOT_DISPATCH_LEVEL error at a different time.
    I've been researching and talking to friends and i'm thinking this might be a RAM issue.

If I left out ANY information please let me know. I'm currently posting this from my main computer with the issue. Usually just freezes while in-game now.

Help would be very much appreciated.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Possible RAM issue
    « Reply #1 on: June 06, 2010, 05:55:36 PM »
    ... I ran a diagnostic on the motherboard which all passed until I came to the system memory and at that part I got a blue screen dumping physical memory with the STOP Error 0x1000007F: UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP_M
    error. I also received the STOP Error 0x00000008: IRQL_NOT_DISPATCH_LEVEL error at a different time.
    I've been researching and talking to friends and i'm thinking this might be a RAM issue.
    I think you're probably right.  Probably just one module.  Try another diagnostic to be sure.
    http://www.memtest.org/

zpwR

Topic Starter

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2010, 07:15:25 PM »
      I ran it.  It stopped at 13% and 4mins 19 seconds with 12,288 errors and it said Unexpected Interrupt - Halting and it didn't move from there.

Sodde

Rookie

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2010, 10:36:03 PM »
        Before you go swapping parts out, I'd suggest you take a good look around inside for loose connectors, unseated RAM chips, unseated boards etc. Have a good look at the caps on the motherboard for leaking/open vents/bulging. If your not sure what I'm talking about, do a search for 'bad caps on motherboard' or similar.
        Bad caps are as unpredictable as RAM issues and probably 10 times more prevalent in older boards.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
        • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • BC-Programming.com
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #4 on: June 07, 2010, 05:13:48 AM »
        Before you go swapping parts out, I'd suggest you take a good look around inside for loose connectors, unseated RAM chips, unseated boards etc. Have a good look at the caps on the motherboard for leaking/open vents/bulging. If your not sure what I'm talking about, do a search for 'bad caps on motherboard' or similar.
        Bad caps are as unpredictable as RAM issues and probably 10 times more prevalent in older boards.

Also, in the case of a RAM error I'm sure memtest would simply have counted more errors- something like an unexpected interrupt sounds more like a motherboard issue.
        I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
        • Experience: Expert
        « Reply #5 on: June 07, 2010, 10:15:26 AM »
        2 in 2 days!
        http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,105632.0.html