Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: How do I run two operating systems at one time running on two seperate GPU's.  (Read 3516 times)

jlewin_80

Topic Starter

Rookie

Ok, so here's my problem. I currently have two computers; one with Win 7, 2.6GB quad core, 12 GB ram, 1GB GeForce GPU, 750W PSU; the other with Winxp, 2.9 GB single core, 1.5 GB ram, 256 MB ATI All-in-wonder GPU/tuner, and 750 W PSU. I have been trying desperately to get my older xp machine to run a program called XBMC on my tv so I can use it as an HTPC. This computer is a little too slow in the processing department to run HD movies at full frame rates though. My new computer is more than capable of it, but is used as my main computer.

I have decided I can use my new computer to run both Windows 7, and XBMC live on a virtual OS if I can find a way around a few hardware problems. My Geforce video card only has DVI output, while my older, slower ATI card has a component output. The hdmi input on my TV no longer functions, so the only way for me to get HD is through component. As far as I have figured so far I have to use my ATI card to be able to display to my TV, but don't want to loose out on the performance of my GeForce card unless absolutely nescessary. Is it possible to make my main windows OS use one video card, while a virtual OS uses the other. Would 750 watts cut it or would I have to run a secondary PSU. Both cards recommend no less than 450 Watts and I will soon be adding several hard drives for media storage. Thanks in advance for any help or advice.

Accessless

Adviser
      • Yes
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    I would recommend a new TV or a TV repair shop. The quality of a S-video connection is a lot lower than that of HDMI/DVI. I can't seem to find any consistent figures for the difference but never mind. So the quality of any HD video you play will be down scaled.

I already have a computer with two Os's and an old spare Geforce 7900 to attempt this with if someone will recommend it not to be a horrifyingly bad idea.

[Lol, spell check on "S-video". Did you mean "Soviet"?]

jlewin_80

Topic Starter

Rookie

Unfortunately money is something I just don't have at the moment and won't have for quite some time (wifey just started going to school.) However it's not an S-video connection I want as that won't offer any resolutions above 480p. I have a component output (Yb Pb Pr) which easily offers 1080i resolutions at equal quality to HDMI picture resolutions. One solution I have been looking into is a DVI to component adapter. I have found such devices that are compatible with ATI cards, and they are reasonably priced at around $20. I haven't been able to find such devices for my GeForce card though as this is the one I would need it for.

Accessless

Adviser
        • Yes
      • Experience: Experienced
      Sorry, don't know where I got S-video tangent from from. Anyway if you're talking about these things then they are compatible with any graphics card: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Adapter-DVI-I-RCA-YUV-Plugs/dp/B000GIIQN4 (sorry about UK page but it gives a good illustration and also features an audio adapter).

jlewin_80

Topic Starter

Rookie

Thanks for the link, that's pretty much what I was looking at before too.....after looking into this more I don't believe it will be a solution. My graphics card would have to output a YbPbPr format through the dvi connector for these adapters to function. After searching it looks like it is only some ATI cards which work in this way. My GeForce card outputs a purely digital signal through the DVI connector to the best of my knowledge. I'll see if I can find a reciever type of converter at a reasonble price. It would have to be something that can take the digital DVI signal and convert it to an analog video stream, just like an audio reciever would do....but cheaper.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
        • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • BC-Programming.com
        • Certifications: List
        • Experience: Beginner
        Is it possible to make my main windows OS use one video card, while a virtual OS uses the other.

No, First, most VM software doesn't expose the actual hardware to the guest operating system, and runs their own driver or emulates a specific piece of hardware- for example, VMWare has "VMWare SVGA" and Virtual PC emulates a S3 Virge (which means no hardware acceleration at all). And while you can get hardware accelerated OpenGL and DirectX with VMWare (at least) you cannot say "use this video card, but not this one".
        I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

jlewin_80

Topic Starter

Rookie

Not sure if this makes any difference but hardware acceleration is not what I'm looking for as XBMC does not yet harness the GPU for graphics acceleration, all transcoding is done by the cpu, I just need the ATI card for my display output.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
            • Yes
            • Yes
            • BC-Programming.com
          Not sure if this makes any difference but hardware acceleration is not what I'm looking for as XBMC does not yet harness the GPU for graphics acceleration, all transcoding is done by the cpu, I just need the ATI card for my display output.

ahh, ok. That's probably possible- you just maximize/full screen the VM on one monitor, that should do the trick.

jlewin_80

Topic Starter

Rookie

Ok so if I understand this correctly.......I would install my ATI card and catalyst drivers into Win 7, then install a virtual OS. Windows 7 setup should remain as is for display configuration. On my virtual OS I would open up the catalyst drivers and set up my display output to component. Adjusting display output on VOS should leave all settings the same on my main OS. For some reason this sounds a little too simple. Also, would my 750watt psu be able to run two GPU's and up to 6 HDD's, or should I run a secondary PSU?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
              • Yes
              • Yes
              • BC-Programming.com
            Ok so if I understand this correctly.......I would install my ATI card and catalyst drivers into Win 7, then install a virtual OS. Windows 7 setup should remain as is for display configuration. On my virtual OS I would open up the catalyst drivers and set up my display output to component. Adjusting display output on VOS should leave all settings the same on my main OS. For some reason this sounds a little too simple.

Um... you wouldn't be able to access catalyst control center from the guest Operating system. you would change the settings on your host OS and just place your VM window on the right monitor (right as in opposite of wrong, not opposite of left)

jlewin_80

Topic Starter

Rookie

BC_Programmer.....sorry for my stupidity here, somethings not clicking. I understand what your saying now, but don't understand how this would work. If I install ati card with catalyst control center, would my computer and main monitor still function from my GeForce card without conflict, mean while I could set my second monitor to be displayed from the ATI card. Sounds easy enough I suppose.

jlewin_80

Topic Starter

Rookie

one more note to BC_Programmer.......it's a small world, I just noticed your from nanaimo BC....me too. Haha, what are the chances.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
                  • Yes
                  • Yes
                  • BC-Programming.com
                BC_Programmer.....sorry for my stupidity here, somethings not clicking. I understand what your saying now, but don't understand how this would work. If I install ati card with catalyst control center, would my computer and main monitor still function from my GeForce card without conflict, mean while I could set my second monitor to be displayed from the ATI card. Sounds easy enough I suppose.

it should work- but, I haven't worked extensively with windows and dual monitors since windows 98- I know 98 let you use multiple cards for multiple monitors- you just installed all the appropriate drivers and it worked like a charm (well, this was windows 98, so you still needed a bit of luck). I have no idea if it works that way still, but I'd say it would. anyway, the method would simply mean installing the drivers for both cards on your "host" operating system- I'm not sure how well the drivers these days get along with another card from another manufacturer though.

Anyway, if you are able to get dual monitors working with the two cards you can simply drag the VM window over to your second (ATI) screen and maximize it.

But, I'd like to point out that if you do this, your main system may be severely bogged down- in fact, you may be left with the very same problem- the VM may not run fast enough to play your movies! Also, another problem would be input, since unless the VM "has control" (that is, all mouse and keyboard goes to it) then you won't be able to change channels via remote, or keyboard shortcuts, or anything.

You might be able to dump the VM method entirely, and just install the two cards (again, assuming it even works) and depending how this TV program works, simply maximize it on your ATI screen.

Another (probably more expensive) option is to get a "dual-headed" video card. for example, my older Radeon 7000VE has two VGA ports, as well as my current Geforce 9800GT (which has two DVI outputs as well as an S-Video output). In fact, if I am wrong and windows (or the drivers) no longer allow you to use two cards from different companies for dual monitors it may be the only option. As it is now, I could, say, buy a second monitor and connect it to my current card, and <poof> I have dual display support automatically. I could then (in my case) watch movies on one and pretend to work on the other. From the sounds of things your trying to work with what you have, but I thought I'd mention that.

one more note to BC_Programmer.......it's a small world, I just noticed your from nanaimo BC....me too. Haha, what are the chances.

Well I'll be! What are we doing inside on a sunny clear day like this anyway?  ;D