Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Impossibility to log on  (Read 5514 times)

5conpro4q

Topic Starter

Rookie

Impossibility to log on
    « on: June 14, 2010, 05:43:01 PM »
    I have 1 standard and 1 administrator account on my Vista-equiped pc.

The welcome screen hangs after i enter my administrator's password. Thus, i cant run anything requiring elevated permission.

i tried searching for solutions on the web and found some including trying to activate the built-in Administrator using cmd to ...create and delete accounts, but the latter wont work since i need administrator's permission.

Need help with this obviously ...

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Impossibility to log on
    « Reply #1 on: June 14, 2010, 05:44:55 PM »
    What led up to this (what happened since the last successful logon - new hw, sw, virus, error, etc)?

5conpro4q

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2010, 06:16:22 PM »
      I accessed the properties of Microsoft Office folder and changed its security settings so i can only use it...

After that i wasn't able to access any Office applications. Each application tells me, "the application failed to intialize properly(0xc0150002). Click OK to terminate the application."

After that i used system restore to try and fix the problem. However, i wasn't able to log on to my only administrator account after the system restore.

It is impossible for me to log on to my only administrator account because the welcome screen doesn't go away.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: June 14, 2010, 06:19:40 PM »
      Boot to safemode and make the appropiate changes to the permissions in Office...
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

5conpro4q

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2010, 06:31:31 PM »
        I have very basic knowledge about computers.

I wasnt't able to do anything while in safe mode since i need my only administrator's permission.

Everytime i enter the password, the welcome screen hangs even while in safe mode...

5conpro4q

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2010, 06:56:21 PM »
          I used the repair my computer option and was able to log on with my administrator account.

After that, i used the CMD and was able to set a password for and activate my built-in Administrator.

I created accounts using the Administrator while i was still on the repair my computer.

When i restarted the PC to normal mode, neither the Administrator nor the newly created accounts existed.

Help is appreciated
          « Last Edit: June 14, 2010, 07:30:12 PM by 5conpro4q »

5conpro4q

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2010, 04:00:47 PM »
            It is impossible for me to log on to my only administrator account using Windows normally because the welcome screen doesn't go away.

I wasn't able to do anything while in Safe Mode either since i need my only administrator's permission in Safe Mode yet.

I created accounts using the built-in Administrator while in Repair My Computer.

When i restarted the PC in Normal mode, neither the Administrator nor the newly created accounts existed.

Are there any procedures to get back an accessible administrator account on my notebook ?

Mulreay

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2010, 04:57:04 PM »
            Just for future reference please don't bump your topic to get it to the top of the threads. Not necessary.

You can always join in your non-admin account and change passwords etc for admin there as long as you have the passwords, you should be able to make it work through the other account.

5conpro4q

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2010, 05:47:23 PM »
              Mulreay,
              i wasn't doing what you mentioned and was only trying to give additional information.

Can you please elaborate steps of controling other accounts using my standard account as you said ?

Mulreay

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2010, 06:06:37 PM »
              Enter your basic account go into control panel found in the start menu, click on User Accounts and family safety and then go into  Add or Remove user accounts

Then you can either change your normal account to non-admin or work at changing the password to the Admin account.
              P.s sorry if I offended you it just seemed you were bumping the topic. My bad and I apologise.  ;)

5conpro4q

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2010, 07:15:39 PM »
                Mulreay,

My topic is Impossibility to log on and i explained in my discussion why. I can't access anything that requires administrator's permission.

Having reitirated that, it should be clear that i can't use your method...

Mulreay

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2010, 07:40:08 PM »
                OK you can't boot into Admin or any guest accounts?

Have you still got the Windows CD or did your computer come with a partition with the recovery included?
                If you did not get a CD we can assume it came with a partition.

If you have a Windows Vista installation disc, you need to restart (boot) your computer using the installation disc. If you do not restart your computer from the disc, the option to repair your computer will not appear.

If you have a Windows Vista installation disc:

Insert the installation disc.

Restart your computer.

Click the Start button , click the arrow next to the Lock button , and then click Restart.

If prompted, press any key to start Windows from the installation disc.

Note
                If your computer is not configured to start from a CD or DVD, check the information that came with your computer. You may need to change your computer's BIOS settings.

Choose your language settings, and then click Next.

Click Repair your computer.
                Select the operating system you want to repair, and then click Next.

On the System Recovery Options menu, click Startup Repair. Startup Repair might prompt you to make choices as it tries to fix the problem, and if necessary, it might restart your computer as it makes repairs.

If Startup Repair is a preinstalled recovery option on your computer:

Remove all floppy disks, CDs, and DVDs from your computer, and then restart your computer.

Click the Start button , click the arrow next to the Lock button , and then click Restart.

Do one of the following:

If your computer has a single operating system installed, press and hold the F8 key as your computer restarts. You need to press F8 before the Windows logo appears. If the Windows logo appears, you will need to try again by waiting until the Windows logon prompt appears, and then shutting down and restarting your computer.

If your computer has more than one operating system, use the arrow keys to highlight the operating system you want to repair, and then press and hold F8.

On the Advanced Boot Options screen, use the arrow keys to highlight Repair your computer, and then press ENTER. (If Repair your computer is not listed as an option, then your computer does not include Startup Repair as a preinstalled recovery option.)

Select a keyboard layout, and then click Next.

Select a user name and enter the password, and then click OK.

On the System Recovery Options menu, click Startup Repair. Startup Repair might prompt you to make choices as it tries to fix the problem and, if necessary, it might restart your computer as it makes repairs.