Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Are you being served?  (Read 10966 times)

overthehill

Topic Starter

Apprentice

• Keep Canada beautiful. Swallow your beer cans.
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Experience: Familiar
Re: Are you being served?
« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2010, 12:04:30 PM »
thank you for that information. This is new to me. But I don't know everything, at least not yet. LOL.
So a dial-up is needed to establish something and then that thing you call a flash drive is a wireless dongle that connects to the local cellular network. But unlike a cell phone connection, it does not tolerate lost data packets. The EV-OD protocol forces correction between the local cell tower and your wireless dongle.
It should be a lot better than dial up, especially for the download speed. Hopefully someday everybody in the world will have access to a 2 gigabit data connection. It just takes time.
Sounds like mobile broadband to me. If the "drive" you plug in only allows you to access the net and didn't appear as a separate drive in explorer, it's simply a mobile broadband dongle. by the same token I have a wireless mouse whose receiver could easily be mistaken for a flash drive, but it's simply a receiver, not a drive.

Re the original topic of connection speed:

Cable, so the download is (like ADSL) much higher then the upload (not because they "favour" download, but simply because the only thing that cable was originally designed to send upstream was a few control signals, or so I hear)
25~ mbps is about my average speed (bits, not bytes). the internet is part of a package with HD television and phone service, so the "package deal" price makes the connection effectively about 40$/month, whereas if I was to simply get just the internet (which would work fine too, I hardly watch TV and the only people that bother to phone me seem to be telemarketers) it would be 60$~. On the whole I am quite satisfied.

Well it sounds like I was using the wrong terminology, and what I was using was obviously a "Dongle". To be honest I never heard that terminology until hearing it in this thread. That contraption was handed to me as a flash drive, looked like a flash drive, so I called it a flash drive. Thanks guys, for the lesson.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2010, 12:17:21 PM »
That contraption was handed to me as a flash drive, looked like a flash drive, so I called it a flash drive. Thanks guys, for the lesson.

Fair enough :)

At least now if you're talking to a nerd, you won't call it by the wrong name. Otherwise, you'd have to see the cheetos stuck in their teeth when they laugh at you. (and if your like me you would inevitably knock some of the teeth out, resulting in a very long civil case... just a lot of hassle)  ;D
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

overthehill

Topic Starter

Apprentice

• Keep Canada beautiful. Swallow your beer cans.
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Experience: Familiar
« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2010, 12:24:16 PM »
Hey, I came here to learn. Might even be working :||x