Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: 12 Viruses Found  (Read 6203 times)

Crafty

12 Viruses Found
« on: July 21, 2005, 03:54:40 PM »
Hi
First of all can somone tell me how i have come to have 12 viruses when i have updated Norton Antivirus regular. Isnt Norton suppose to stop me getting a virus and if not how do i get them.

Are all viruses able to be fixed without having to Reformat my drive. Or do some require that i will have to Format.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2005, 06:15:55 PM by Crafty »

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
Re: 12 Viruses Found
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2005, 03:57:57 PM »
Norton is supposed to stop viruses from entering, but only if AutoProtect is enabled.. Is it? Also, when was your last scan?

[glb]Flame[/glb]

Crafty

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2005, 04:00:52 PM »
Where should it say auto protect. I last scaned about 7-8 weeks ago and found Nothing.

merlin_2

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2005, 04:40:53 PM »
From memory....you right click on the norton icon that sits in the bottom right task bar.......and click the enable norton protect......this may already be so.....and the virus files are held in the quarrentine box...
« Last Edit: July 21, 2005, 04:41:22 PM by merlin_2 »

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2005, 05:03:16 PM »
The image displayed on the taskbar may vary depending on which version of Norton you are using... In the 2004 version, if AutoProtect is disabled, you will see a picture of a computer with a red X going through it... If it is enabled, you will just see the picture of the computer without the red X... In the 2005 version, if Autoprotect is disabled you will see a yellow circle with a small red X on it... if it is enabled, you will only see the yellow circle... (Note: Inside the yellow circle is some kind of tool that doctors use, and I know the word but cannot spell it lol  )

[glb]Flame[/glb]

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2005, 05:07:34 PM »
    Crafty........ Several questions for you.
    First ....which version of Norton are you using ?
    Then ....what operating system are you using ?
    I dont know how much you use you computer , but doing a full system scan once every 7 or 8 weeks isnt often enough ...... Depending on which version you have ...you should be able to schedule an automatic scan any hour of the day and any day of the week.

Now as far as why do you have "12 viruses "   ....they may not be viruses ...but rather trojans..... Norton is excellant at virus protection ....but doesn't do the greatest job with trojans........ Norton should identify these for you even if it is unable to remove them.

Get back with the answers to my questions and if possible a list of the things Norton identified .

dl65  ::)

« Last Edit: July 21, 2005, 05:08:31 PM by dl65 »
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

Crafty

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2005, 06:13:18 PM »
    Ok thanks for your replys, I am using windows XP upgraded from ME, Norton 2003. I reinstalled about six months ago so i could get latest virus definitions. 

As for the list of viruses found, i will let you know tomorrow as i am away from that computer at the momment.

Yes the Auto protect was already enabled.

After the scan it said recomend to quarentine, so i said yes, then it said could not repair. I went to the report and quarentine there is a list of things wich i will send you tommorow, and again it asked if i wanted to repair, I again said yes, But it wouldnt repair them.

One other thing, Can viewing your email thorough an internet cafe cause this. I was away abroad and just got back, But while away i sent and viewed my emails.

Can the fact i used another computer to view my email, give me a virus, if the computer i used to view the Email had one. Not saying it had one because i dont know, Im just curious.
    « Last Edit: July 21, 2005, 06:35:04 PM by Crafty »

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2005, 06:39:37 PM »
      Crafty......ok you reinstalled Norton 2003 .....is the subscription date current or has it lapsed ?

Next ...whatever Norton detected , it was unable to deal with ......... did it not list the offenders and refer you to how to remove them ?

When you were at the internet cafe ....where you using your laptop ?  or ....where you simply accessing your Email thru web mail or something similar ?

If the computer you where using to view was unprotected and infected .....and you simply viewed your messages on Web mail .......the original message would just be stored on the server and you could D/l them when you returned home..........and unless you forwarded the email you viewed on an infected machine to your home pc , there is no way to transfer it .

At least I dont think so ......

dl65  ::)

« Last Edit: July 21, 2005, 06:40:21 PM by dl65 »
      If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

Crafty

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2005, 08:00:23 PM »
      Not sure what you mean by this, I reinstalled 2003 six months ago and am able to D/L definations and that, but is it the latest ones?. I always thought it was.

No it didnt list anything, it  just asked if i wanted to quarantine and repair at first. i did this but it wouldnt repair. There is a list in the report wich ill send tomorrow as its on the other computer.

No not Laptop just a internet cafe computer i think Unless my Gilrfriend tells me otherwise.

Good point im not sure if i D/l and sent them to myself will let you know tomorrow as im not on that computer now and maybe the Girlfriend did it.

Thanks Again
      « Last Edit: July 21, 2005, 08:08:32 PM by Crafty »

xxxcarriexxx

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2005, 03:15:56 PM »
      make sure that is the only antivirus software u r running, running more than one can give u viruses i've found!!