Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Building New Computer  (Read 2472 times)

Randy1887

Topic Starter

Rookie

Building New Computer
    « on: May 21, 2010, 01:29:41 PM »
    Ok so I am fairly knowledgable in the computer world, I know and understand about building computer systems, however there are so many Motherboards and processors on the market today so I would like a little help on what Processor to buy.

The computer I will be building will be for my office, I would like to use Windows 7 OS, the programs I will use are Peachtree Accounting, Microsoft Office Word, Excel, Avery Design Pro, The Print Shop and Adobe Reader. So need to know Intel or AMD, Duo or Quad and what models you would suggest.

Thanks.

P.S. Ask if additional information is required  8)

jblab

Rookie
      Re: Building New Computer
      « Reply #1 on: May 21, 2010, 09:39:51 PM »
      AMD and Intel are both good companies, and it boils down to personal preference. I have had both, and seemed to like both.

As for Duo or Quad Core, Quad will definitely be better, especially if you are trying to run multiple programs at once. However, Duo is also good. If you can afford a quad core, then get it! But if money is a big factor, then Duo's are great.

As you know, motherboards and processors have to match, as well as ram, so make sure everything goes together. Here is a list of deals off of Newegg.com that I think are good deals:

Intel Core2Duo E7500 + Asus P5Q Turbo LGA 775:
      http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.369412

AMD Phenom II X4 955 AM3 + GIGABYTE GA-770TA-UD3 AM3 AMD 770:
      http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.381927

You can also pick your own combo, but sometimes you can find a great deal with the combos.

Hope this helps!

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
        • Yes
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #2 on: May 22, 2010, 11:26:09 AM »
      What's your budget?
      Do you need a whole build spec'ing, or just the CPU and motherboard, or what?

Randy1887

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2010, 03:38:09 PM »
        I don't really have a budget but since it is going to only be for office work I don't want to be spending money on stuff that will be an overkill. However I would like to build it for no more than $800.00 if that's possible but with the way prices are I'm not sure if I'll have to spend more than that for a good system.

I am building a whole system.

Thanks for the links I will look into them.

Another question in reference to AMD or Intel. A few years ago AMD was a 64 bit processor and Intel was a 32 bit. Is that still the same or are they both 64 bit or does it just depend on the processor you buy?

Computer_Commando

Hacker
        • Experience: Expert
        « Reply #4 on: May 26, 2010, 04:29:36 PM »
        ...The computer I will be building will be for my office, I would like to use Windows 7 OS, the programs I will use are Peachtree Accounting, Microsoft Office Word, Excel, Avery Design Pro, The Print Shop and Adobe Reader. So need to know Intel or AMD, Duo or Quad and what models you would suggest.
        None of this requires a quad-core or even a dual-core, but dual-core is now the standard.  The Intel i-series are the latest, i3, i5, i7.  All are 64-bit.  I don't know much about AMD processors.
        http://www.intel.com/products/processor/index.htm

Win7 (depending on the version) will cost more than the hardware.  You should also investigate whether your current software is compatible with Win7.  Don't know if your $800 budget includes software, printing capability or networking.

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #5 on: May 27, 2010, 12:48:43 PM »
        All of Intel's desktop lineup for the last 3-4 years has been 64 bit, AMD's desktop lineup has been 64 bit for a while longer.
        I'll look into some ideas for you, and post links and suggestions ehre when I have them.

Randy1887

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2010, 07:34:14 AM »
          Hey guys I really appreciate all your help!!!!