Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: dvd-cd rw on compaq presario  (Read 3064 times)

gfste1

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

dvd-cd rw on compaq presario
    « on: July 08, 2010, 12:45:38 PM »
    Hi don't know if anyone has had this problem, i have a compaq presario v6500 laptop and recently my lightscribe dvd recorder stop showing on my computer, when i go into comp it shows my hard drive but the dvd is no longer available. When i put a disc in it just makes a noise but nothing happens. Any help please

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: dvd-cd rw on compaq presario
    « Reply #1 on: July 08, 2010, 01:13:33 PM »
    Put in a bootable disc, make sure the optical drive is at the top of the bios boot order and reboot. Does the system boot to the dvd?

gfste1

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2010, 01:18:43 PM »
      Hi yes i have done that and reboote the comp and everything worked, then the disc drive vanished from the settings again
      Thanks

Allan

• Mastermind
      « Reply #3 on: July 08, 2010, 01:20:29 PM »
      So it works at boot but not within the OS? Go here and follow the instructions: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929461

gfste1

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2010, 01:27:24 PM »
        Thanks for the help did what you said and the scan came back as could not detect the cd/dvd drive, so could not fix. Just strange how it works when i boot from the cd/dvd drive.

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #5 on: July 08, 2010, 10:28:16 AM »
        One of these may help:
        1. Uninstall the drive through Device Manager.
        Restart computer. The drive will be automatically reinstalled.
        or...
        2. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060
        Restart computer.
        or...
        3. Download, and run Restore Missing CD Drive patch
        Double click on cdgone.zip to unzip it.
        Right click on cdgone.reg, click Merge.
        Accept registry merge.
        Restart computer.
        or...
        4. Go to Device Manager, click a "+" sign next to IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers.
        You'll see two items:
        - ATA Channel0 (or Primary Channel)
        - ATA Channel1 (or Secondary Channel)
        Right click on each of them, and click Uninstall. Confirm.
        Restart Windows. They'll be automatically reinstalled.

Kudos to Broni...
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Allan

• Mastermind
        « Reply #6 on: July 08, 2010, 10:30:59 AM »
        Thanks for the help did what you said and the scan came back as could not detect the cd/dvd drive, so could not fix. Just strange how it works when i boot from the cd/dvd drive.
        Okay, I wanted you to follow the instructions on that page to delete the upper and lower filters. If patio's suggestion doesn't help, do the following (as quoted from the page I sent you to above):

To resolve this problem, remove the affected filter drivers. To do this, follow these steps:
        1> Go to Start - run - and type regedit (press enter)

2. Locate, and then click the following registry subkey:
              HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
              Caution There can be many instances of the registry subkey that is mentioned in step 2. You must make sure that you are in the appropriate registry subkey before modifying the UpperFilters and the LowerFilters values. To verify that you are in the appropriate registry subkey, make sure that the Default data value is DVD/CD-ROM and the Class data value is CDROM.
           3. In the right pane, right-click UpperFilters, and then click Delete.
           4. Click Yes to confirm the removal of the UpperFilters registry entry.
           5. In the right pane, right-click LowerFilters, and then click Delete.
           6. Click Yes to confirm the removal of the LowerFilters registry entry.
           7. Exit Registry Editor, and then restart the computer.

Note After you remove the UpperFilters registry entry and the LowerFilters registry entry, you may lose functionality in certain programs such as CD recording programs. In this scenario, you must reinstall any affected programs. If the problem recurs, contact the program vendor to determine whether an update is available for the program.