Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: GPU caused blackout  (Read 6756 times)

deargodpleasehelp

GPU caused blackout
« on: July 19, 2010, 02:11:12 PM »
Before I start, I will say that this thread has NOTHING to do with a power failure or house power-outage. Thank you for your cooperation.

Well, just today I was using the CryEngine2 SandBox2 level editor, and all of a sudden the screen goes black.
I try to hit the Windows key, nothing.
Alt+Tab, nothing.
Control+Shift+Esc (Task manager)
Nothing.

Finally I hit Ctrl+Alt+Delete and it comes up with the Windows screen asking what I want to do.
I click in task manager and then I close out SandBox 2, I think then, it went black again. Switch back to task manager, close out SandBox 2 from there, and then the screen goes black again, then after SB2 closes, the screen goes back to normal.

Since this game/level editing software requires High-Graphic and system memory, and is both a CPU and GPU hog, it is possible my Graphics processor stopped responding to display commands from the driver?  ??? ??? ??? Either, way, it scared me.

I actually thought my GPU had fried or something, I'm taking as many precautions I can to save my GPU from situations like this.

If anybody knows what this could have been caused by, please post your answer here, and what I can do to prevent this.

Thanks! :D

I've also had a situation like this where the display in the viewpoint messed up, where the shaders and lighting quit, and I just saw white spots floating around at random positions. And the screen was more in a grey-tone.

As I was saying, if anybody can think  of the cause(s) of this, please tell me here!
Thanks to you all! ;D  (|

Kurtiskain

Mentor

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: GPU caused blackout
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2010, 07:47:29 PM »
A overheating graphics card can cause this issue, especially if the sound of the program continues in the background.
My HD 4870 can overheat when my fan dust filter gets blocked and I am in a hot environment.
The game i am playing will freeze on the screen, go black, but I can still 'play' eg still shoot the gun in Modern Warfare 2 and such.
After the card has cooled sufficiently the card kicks back in and it can run stable, of course it wil just heat up again.

Do you notice the fan get louder with use?

quaxo

Guru
    • Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2010, 01:34:49 AM »
If you're able to get out to the desktop with Ctrl Alt Del, then it most likely isn't a heat problem, as it would not display anything until it cooled sufficiently. It wouldn't selectively choose what to show. Most like, it's either a driver issue or problem with the editor. If it has only happened once, I wouldn't worry about it.

I take it you're not having trouble playing games, just with Sandbox?

deargodpleasehelp

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2010, 10:00:56 AM »
If you're able to get out to the desktop with Ctrl Alt Del, then it most likely isn't a heat problem, as it would not display anything until it cooled sufficiently. It wouldn't selectively choose what to show. Most like, it's either a driver issue or problem with the editor. If it has only happened once, I wouldn't worry about it.

I take it you're not having trouble playing games, just with Sandbox?

Actually I do have some problems with some games, yes..

BTW, I always crank my fan speed to a fixed speed, which is 50% to 70% fan speed.

Since its always at 50*C or 60*C no matter how high the fan speed is, as long as it is not below 20 or 30 percent fan speed.

I guess my GPU is always cool, or my fan is faulty?  ???
My fan does work, because I can hear it when it speeds up when I control it manually.

I was thinking that because the "security" menu of Ctrl+Alt+Del in Windows 7 showed up, it must've been the display driver that stopped responding to Graphic commands.

Could I be right?

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2010, 08:13:56 PM »
Nope.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

deargodpleasehelp

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2010, 09:34:04 AM »
Nope.

Then what do I do!?  ??? ??? ???

I thought this was a help forum, not a topic just for information!!!

-_-  >:(

Salmon Trout

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2010, 09:45:44 AM »

You come in here with stuff like this, makes us think you know it all already and aren't interested in what we have to say. Also fonts and color tricks do not endear people to us.

Before I start, I will say that this thread has NOTHING to do with a power failure or house power-outage. Thank you for your cooperation.

killerb255

Adviser
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #7 on: July 28, 2010, 02:53:36 PM »

Information leads to help. 
    Quote from: talontromper
    Part of the problem is most people don't generally deal with computer problems. So for most they think that close enough is good enough.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2010, 03:07:12 PM »
    sandbox2 is known to be unstable on certain (many!) platforms. Especially 32 bit ones. I see a lot of fancy yellow highlight and font trickery and no details of hardware/OS

deargodpleasehelp

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2010, 08:26:55 AM »
    sandbox2 is known to be unstable on certain (many!) platforms. Especially 32 bit ones. I see a lot of fancy yellow highlight and font trickery and no details of hardware/OS

Ok, since I cannot edit my first Post i will post here.

I have a Intel Duo Core 2 processor @2.52 ghz
    NVidia 250 GTS with SLI and PhysX.
    I have 8GB of RAM and 1003MB of on-board Graphics memory.
    It is known to be only warming up to 63*C if ever possible by its thermal paste and heatsink/fan cooling, in simple terms, it never reaches any higher than that do to the cooling it currently has.

Is this enough information?  ??? ??? Please let me know if I missed any crucial details.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2010, 11:04:49 AM »
    Like I said,

sandbox2 is known to be unstable on certain (many!) platforms.

No OS details, I see. I presume that with 8 GB of RAM you are not running a 32 bit OS. That would be foolish. Are you using Crossfire? If you have a separate graphics card, why are you setting aside nearly 1 GB of RAM for onboard graphics?

deargodpleasehelp

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2010, 01:01:24 PM »
    Like I said,

No OS details, I see. I presume that with 8 GB of RAM you are not running a 32 bit OS. That would be foolish. Are you using Crossfire? If you have a separate graphics card, why are you setting aside nearly 1 GB of RAM for onboard graphics?

I'm sorry, I have an Nvidia GTS 250 GPU hooked up to the PCI-E port I believe, Its a one in a slot, so obviously its not onboard.

And the GPU has on it 1003 MB of DDR3 type memory, I think I believe it was.

My OS is Windows 7, if you ever looked on the left(!) side of the forum where User Information is put aside.
    It is x64 bit Windows 7 Ultimate.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2010, 01:04:17 PM »
    sandbox2 is known to be unstable on certain (many!) platforms.

coastie65

Rookie

• Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #13 on: August 10, 2010, 01:25:44 PM »
    I'm sorry, I have an Nvidia GTS 250 GPU hooked up to the PCI-E port I believe, Its a one in a slot, so obviously its not onboard.

And the GPU has on it 1003 MB of DDR3 type memory, I think I believe it was.

My OS is Windows 7, if you ever looked on the left(!) side of the forum where User Information is put aside.
    It is x64 bit Windows 7 Ultimate.

Hi. Your specs look good and the GPU temps are fine. Seems to be a hiccup with one of the apps, although it could possibly be the card, but I don't think so if it behaves with everything else.
    Cooler Max 912 HAF Case, ASUS Z87-Pro MOBO, i7 4770k CPU OC'd to 4.6 Ghz, 16 GB of GSkill Ripjaws Series X 2133 Mhz Ram, EVGA GTX 980, Gelid Tranquillo cooler, 2 1Tb WD Caviar Black HDDs, Samsung Series 850 EVO 1 Tb SSD, Corsair AX850w PSU, LITE-ON iHAS124-04 Optical drive. Running Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit