Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: CPU problem?  (Read 2155 times)

JamesHasProblems

CPU problem?
« on: July 26, 2005, 07:34:20 PM »
Hi, I recently installed a new cpu and power supply, my last power supply's fan broke, and due to lack of attention on my part overheated the CPU as well.

After replacing the CPU, the computer would seem to start up normally, but after maybe 20 seconds I hear a click and the CPU's fan stops moving. This causes the computer to basically shut down, nothing attached to it works, but the power supply is still on(fan functioning).  Eventually I figured out the heat sink and fan weren't attached properly, and it worked.

However, it started doing the thing i described above again. This time the heat sink/fan are plugged in properly/all wires are where they should be. I'm clueless, have no idea where to start looking, and can use any advice you guys can give me. Thanks

uisquebeathus

Re: CPU problem?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2005, 07:51:45 AM »
what is the power rating of the replacement Power supply unit, and what have you in the pc as far as drives, graphics cards etc.
this site has a calculater all you do is  add the details

http://www.jscustompcs.com/power_supply/Power_Supply_Calculator.php?cmd=AMD

merlin_2

Re: CPU problem?
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2005, 09:10:56 PM »
It may seem you are doing the same thing!