Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: PC-Printer communications  (Read 2155 times)

keithmacsd

Topic Starter

Rookie

PC-Printer communications
    « on: July 19, 2010, 11:18:46 AM »
    I can't get my computer to activate my HP all-in-one printer (4100 series).  When I check Task Manager, I find that a related program (spools-something-exe) is occupying a huge percentage of my CPU capacity, but the printer remains inert.  The "copy" feature works and the "ready" light is on, so I know the printer is functioning.  I've tried Windows-XP troubleshooting procedures without success.  I know the printer is online and is designated as the default.  The problem first appeared a couple days ago when I tried to print an email.  I've tried to print a test page (from the printer and from WordPad) but without success.  Ideas?

ale52

Expert

• Deo Gratis
      • Experience: Expert
      Re: PC-Printer communications
      « Reply #1 on: July 19, 2010, 11:53:01 AM »
      Need...more...info...gasp  :P

Operating system / antivirus & antispyware protection / service packs installed / when did it start happening / did it ever work right / installed any new software?

Alan <><  :D
      I have principles.  And if you don't like them...well...I have other principles!!

keithmacsd

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2010, 08:41:54 PM »
        Windows XP home; started two days ago but worked before that with no problems; no new software; AVG antivirus & firewall; computer is a Dell C600 with Pentium III @512MB and 80GB hard drive.  Anything else?

ale52

Expert

• Deo Gratis
          • Experience: Expert
          « Reply #3 on: August 06, 2010, 08:27:38 AM »
          Try uninstalling and reinstalling.  Sorry for getting back so late.  I broke a finger and have had to deal with that  :(

Alan <><  :D
          I have principles.  And if you don't like them...well...I have other principles!!