Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Need advice on laptop upgrade  (Read 2108 times)

Veltas

Topic Starter

Intermediate

• Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
Need advice on laptop upgrade
« on: August 24, 2010, 01:30:55 PM »
Okay, I want to upgrade my laptop enough to play Battlefield: Bad Company 2 on at least the lowest settings.

Currently, I have the game and it runs awfully, averaging from about 5-0.5 fps depending what I'm doing.  I can get about 5-10 fps by staring at the floor.  Especially since this is an online game, I'd need at least 30-40 fps to have a fighting chance!

I'm under the impression it's my processor which is the limiting factor, since processor usage averages at around 95% when using the game with it spending a lot of time at 100% and increasing process priority makes it marginally faster.  Also, my processor is pretty crap and doesn't quite meet the same level as the 'Intel Core 2 Duo' in the min' requirements.

As for just general spec's:
* CPU: AMD Turion X2 Dual-Core Mobile RM-70 (x64, 2.0 GHz, 1MB L2 Cache)
* Graphics: ATI Mobility Radeon 3650 (512MB Video Memory)
* Screen: 1366x768x32
* RAM: 4GB DDR2
* HDD: 250GB  (~40GB free)

The laptop model is an ACER Aspire 6530G in case there is anything I couldn't think of.

I've been looking quite a bit for info on laptop processor upgrades and none of it is very informative.  Also, there seem to be some very mixed opinions on them, a lot of people say "too expensive, barely any difference", and a lot of people say "very easy, great boost to performance".  I would have thought they were talking about specific cases but they seem to think that these rules apply to every upgrade so I don't know who to trust.

I'm aware that getting a better processor (if even possible) isn't going to 'dramatically improve performance' on every game, but if it will give me half-decent performance on crappy port games like BFBC2 then I'm in.

Also, if upgrading IS possible, can anyone suggest any recommendations for processors because I wouldn't even begin being able to figure out what ones would work with my laptop.

Thank you for any help you can give.