Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Dell internal Cd-Rom drive  (Read 3898 times)

kenny123

Dell internal Cd-Rom drive
« on: July 27, 2005, 03:14:10 PM »
I have not long had this Dell PC.It has an internal CD-Rom drive,model is HL-DT-ST CD-ROM GCR-8481B.It plays and recognises all audio,data and games CDs but does`nt recognise DVDs.I can play and use DVDS from my external CD-Re-Writer but when I put a DVD in my internal drive I get the message"Please insert a CD"I have checked my drivers and they are coming up OK.Is the drive I have actually capable or reading DVDs?I recently installed Windows xp Professional.would this have anything to do with it?Any help appreciated. :)

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

Re: Dell internal Cd-Rom drive
    « Reply #1 on: July 27, 2005, 03:22:06 PM »
    kenny123......Ah .......I'm not certain that cd-rom you mentioned is capable of reading DVDs .........Since it's a new PC why dont you confirm that with Dell

dl65  ::)
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

Raptor

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2005, 03:41:59 PM »
    If it says CD-ROM it will not play DVD-ROM.

kenny123

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2005, 03:54:21 PM »
    Thanks to both Dl65 and Raptor.You are both correct and I suspected as much. :( It is a CD only device.Although I have only had the PC about a month,it is actually about 3 years old.The previous owner ran a small business and therefore had no need for hi-spec stuff.He just confirmed to me in a phone call that ,to save money,he just had a CD only device installed.Ach well,next months pay slip is going to be used to purchase an internal DVD re-writer. :)

Raptor

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2005, 03:59:08 PM »
    Do remember that DVD-ROM can play CD-ROM.

merlin_2

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2005, 09:01:39 PM »
    Is the dell a laptop/desktop......

kenny123

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2005, 03:14:44 PM »
    Is the dell a laptop/desktop......

The dell is a desktop,Optiplex GX50.Seems to me to be an Ok machine.Well anything free has to be OK,so they say. :)

merlin_2

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2005, 03:57:19 PM »