Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: operating system not found  (Read 3027 times)

tom jennings

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

operating system not found
    « on: September 13, 2010, 04:17:37 AM »
    Hello all

My Sony Vaio laptop was left on overnight and when I woke up the screen was black with the message "Operating System Not Found" written in white. When I pressed any key the message repeated itself. I turned the lappy off and on again and it came back on as normal, I was even able to access the internet briefly before it froze and then came up with the same error message.

Since then I have got the same message everytime I've tried to re-start.

The lappy is only 6 months old and hasn't been dropped or anything like that but I've heard this error message is usually bad news!

Any ideas would be extremely helpful.

Cheers
    Tom

zzhong

Re: operating system not found
    « Reply #1 on: September 13, 2010, 05:52:58 AM »
    I have the same issue on my Acer Aspire 5050 and verify the hard disk is dead. You should try put out the hard disk from laptop and use a external hard drive enclose to test the hard drive, the dive is dead if you are unable to see the diver in another pc,

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #2 on: September 13, 2010, 06:10:56 AM »
    Could be another Flash BIOS issue... :-\

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #3 on: September 13, 2010, 06:11:52 AM »
    Could be another Flash BIOS issue... :-\
    Huh?

I agree with the previous poster - your hd could be on the way out. Run a diagnostic on the hd and copy all critical data to an off-disc medium.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #4 on: September 13, 2010, 06:12:24 AM »
    You would be better off determining what manuf. the HDD is and DLoading and running the free diagnostics on it.....run the long test.

Simply moving it to an external caddy is not going to tell you if the drive is bad or not.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2010, 07:27:59 AM »
      Do the above appropriate testings with the time constraint in mind of your warranty. If it is only 6 months old it SHOULD still be on warranty. Be prepared after minimal delay to exercise your warranty provisions which should involve returning it for repair/replacement. truenorth

tom jennings

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2010, 07:50:14 AM »
        Cheers for all the advice people. First thing I'll do is check the Warranty and all of that gubbins then see if anything can be done.