Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: retrieving a 'paste' post  (Read 6633 times)

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: retrieving a 'paste' post
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2010, 07:12:33 AM »
I couldn't agree more with Truenorth here...

And BTW Welcome Aboard ! !
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Sarah90

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2010, 03:21:38 AM »
    Thankyou!  You're not going to like this, but already I have a Big Problem...dunno what's going on this week!  SIGH.  I just have to work out where exactly to post it.  (Lost everything...EVERYTHING...in my O/L/E.  I didn't touch nuffin!!!).

OK...am going to put it in here, and presumably it will be redirected to appropriate place?

Windows did their 'Compact all Files' in Outlook Express.  As always, it all ended up in my Recycle Bin as .bak stuff.   Usually I just empty R/Bin, but this time I moved it all across to my 'back-up' Drive.  Went back to O/L/E, and all messages, all people (except one person for some obscure reason) GONE!   Thousands of 'em.   

D'you know what my ...second...thought was?  PHEW!

But, unfortunately, I can't let it go...have to know what happened, of course.  (I've checked my back-up driver, and all I can find is a pile of those 'orrible .dbx things).

Any ideas?  (Please do tell me to post it elsewhere if necessary.  Thanks).

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #17 on: September 20, 2010, 07:30:39 AM »
    The Compacting procedure always puts .bak files in Recycle Bin in case you need to restore from them.  So, what you saw in R/B was normal. 

And, those "horrible .dbx things" are your OE message files.  To get your messages back, try importing those .dbx files.  And, be sure not to delete those .dbx files on your backup drive.

Sarah90

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2010, 01:57:42 AM »
      "The Compacting procedure always puts .bak files in Recycle Bin in case you need to restore from them.  So, what you saw in R/B was normal. 

And, those "horrible .dbx things" are your OE message files.  To get your messages back, try importing those .dbx files.  And, be sure not to delete those .dbx files on your backup drive."
      Thanks for that soybean, but...ummm...how on earth do 'import' .dbx files?  Everything I've read about them is either that one needs to know 'coding' stuff, or else buy a programme to discombobulate them!  ::)

soybean

Genius
      • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #19 on: September 22, 2010, 06:45:21 AM »
      See this reference: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/ie6/using/howto/oe/importing.mspx.  In the part for Import Messages from Other E-Mail Programs, you select the folder containing the.dbx files. 

Sarah90

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2010, 03:31:12 AM »
        Hi soybean and thanks again.  I tried this (twice today - hours apart), but got the same response: (Yikes...tried that in two different ways...didn't work - really 'tiny').

Basically what it said was:  "Server Error in '/windows/ie' Application.
        --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Runtime Error
        Description: An application error occurred on the server. The current custom error settings for this application prevent the details of the application error from being viewed remotely (for security reasons). It could, however, be viewed by browsers running on the local server machine.

Details: To enable the details of this specific error message to be viewable on remote machines, please create a <customErrors> tag within a "web.config" configuration file located in the root directory of the current web application. This <customErrors> tag should then have its "mode" attribute set to "Off".

<!-- Web.Config Configuration File -->

<configuration>
            <system.web>
                <customErrors mode="Off"/>
            </system.web>
        </configuration>

Notes: The current error page you are seeing can be replaced by a custom error page by modifying the "defaultRedirect" attribute of the application's <customErrors> configuration tag to point to a custom error page URL.

<!-- Web.Config Configuration File -->

<configuration>
            <system.web>
                <customErrors mode="RemoteOnly" defaultRedirect="mycustompage.htm"/>
            </system.web>
        </configuration>

[recovering disk space - old attachment deleted by admin]