Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: I want my Windows Vista back!  (Read 2797 times)

kip152

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    I want my Windows Vista back!
    « on: October 22, 2010, 12:36:29 AM »
    Compaq Presario PC loaded with Vista Basic. I completely switched over to Ubuntu - NO DUAL BOOT...
    I have the two disks from HP to restore Windows, I tried messing with the partitions in Ubuntu, then popped my Windows disks in. Seems to get stuck somewhere, Because after a couple of hours, PC goes to sleep. Process log says it should take 16 hours?
    I've begged the guys at Ubuntu to help, but they don't seem to know enough about Windows to help. The disks worked for me once before, so I know they're good.
    Help?

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: I want my Windows Vista back!
    « Reply #1 on: October 22, 2010, 08:42:48 AM »
    Installing Windows after installing a Linux OS is more difficult than installing Ubuntu in a dual-boot configuration where Windows is already installed.  So, if completely erasing your hard drive and then installing Windows and then Ubuntu is a feasible option for you, that might be the best approach to reach your objective here.

Whichever way to decide to proceed, this reference should be helpful: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WindowsDualBoot

kip152

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
      Re: I want my Windows Vista back!
      « Reply #2 on: October 22, 2010, 03:24:11 PM »
      Right. I read those instructions and switched partitions to ntfs.  When I put my windows disks in, after several hours of inactivity, computer goes to sleep. I get to a blueish screen that shows HP logo on bottom left, says don't turn off on top, and shows it working on bottom right. Can't get past that.