Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Problem overclocking an i7-930 CPU and a Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R M/B  (Read 12510 times)

Crafty

Re: Problem overclocking an i7-930 CPU and a Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R M/B
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2010, 07:32:15 PM »
I don't know much about overclocking, but I have the exact same CPU and motherboard. Mine came already overclocked to 4.0ghz, so if there is any setting you want to know I will look at them. I got a 3 year warranty on this board and CPU so they must have run it to work spot on.

skyeclipper

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2010, 03:11:38 PM »
Crafty, do you have the time to look up some BIOS info that might help cypher007 and me? The following stuff would be great:

MB Intelligent Tweaker (M.I.T.) /M.I.T. Current Status /: BLCK ;QPI Frequency; UnCore Frequency; Memory Frequency. Channel A (e,g, 7-7-7-20)
MB Intelligent Tweaker (M.I.T.) / Advanced Frequency Settings /: QPI Clock Ratio; Uncore Clock Ratio; BCLK Frequency (mhz); System Memory Multiplier (SPD)
MB Intelligent Tweaker (M.I.T.) / Advanced Frequency Settings / Advanced CPU Core Features /: Intel Turbo Boost Tech.; CPU Multi-threading
MB Intelligent Tweaker (M.I.T.) / Advanced Voltage Settings /: Could you tell us what items and their settings ARE NOT [Auto]?
PC  Health Status /: Vcore; Current CPU and MCH Temperatures

Don't sweat it if this looks like more work then you signed up for. Thanks for any help you can give.
Thanks for the help :)

skyeclipper

cypher007

Starter

« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2010, 05:43:15 AM »
    tried cmos battery, still no go, but ive found if i run easytune 6 and gently increase the fsb 1mhz at a time i can get all the way upto 188mhz. so it would appear that the bios is at fault somehow. is there a kind of safe mode the bios can get stuck on even if the cmos is cleared?

skyeclipper

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Yes
    « Reply #18 on: October 13, 2010, 09:19:48 AM »
    Hi

There is an BIOS mode that automatically puts your PC into a safe place when you have over reached the settings too far.  It can put your system back to the BIOS fail safe defaults for a time. I don't believe this response is manually configurable.

My PC has gotten pretty flaky   I'm going to format c:\ later today and reinstall Win7. I'll let you know how things work out after the reinstall.

The trick with EasyTune 6 is very interesting. Can't wait to try it.

skyeclipper

skyeclipper

skyeclipper

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Yes
    « Reply #19 on: October 16, 2010, 09:21:11 AM »
    Hi

Well, the Windows 7 reinstall went so swimmingly I did it twice. I don't know what it is about a reinstall that makes it so rewarding.
    Anyway, the 2nd time was a charm. The system seems stable after 24 hours. I'll continue to monitor things over the next couple of days.

The EasyTune6 OC tool won't run. It installs but won't launch. I tried re-downloading it from different web sites. I also tried several install/ uninstall cycles, but no joy. Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Thanks

skyeclipper