Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Confused? Adware/Windows program/BLAH mshta.exe  (Read 2723 times)

babytina

Confused? Adware/Windows program/BLAH mshta.exe
« on: October 27, 2010, 05:00:28 PM »
 ???

As of yesterday I checked my task manager only to see the mshta.exe in there 12 times. CANT be normal. I instantly started looking it up and am getting conflicting stories. Some say its originally part of the windows os needed for html.hta files. BUT is frequently used as a backdoor for spyware and other malicious content. I went into my task manager because I am addicted to the apps on facebook and they are always crashing, erroring out, out of sync, or simply dont load... only to find this issue. The more i read the more confused i get. A friend of mine sent me three links. First one was SPYHunter. Ran the scan and it came up with 538 infections and a laundry list of adware and other junk. BUT wouldnt remove without payment. The third link he sent me was to windows itself. I downloaded and ran their malicious-ware scan and it didnt find a thing! So i really dont want to pay for a service that isnt going to remove anything. So do i have a prob or not? This site is the second link he sent me. I've read over some of the other posts in regards to that file and none of them seem to be the same issue as mine (ie. pop ups) I dont get pop ups. I'm using Mozilla. I have everything up to date... so what is the suggestion for me moving forward?

-Open to ideas, hoping for a fix-
Tina

ale52

Expert

• Deo Gratis
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Confused? Adware/Windows program/BLAH mshta.exe
    « Reply #1 on: October 27, 2010, 06:17:38 PM »
    Need...more...info...gasp  :P

Operating system / antivirus & antispyware protection / service packs installed / when did it start happening / did it ever work right / installed any new software?

Alan <><  :D
    I have principles.  And if you don't like them...well...I have other principles!!

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Confused? Adware/Windows program/BLAH mshta.exe
    « Reply #2 on: October 28, 2010, 05:41:54 AM »
    Please follow the instructions in the following link and post your logs in the thread you create (NOT in this thread):
    http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,46313.0.html