Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: I have Question  (Read 2477 times)

Crunk

I have Question
« on: August 03, 2005, 10:52:14 AM »
since windows has released that thing, WGA, i haven't been able to update to Service Pack 2, which i should have done a long time ago but now i regret it. seems as though a pirated copy of XP was installed on my computer when i bought it. If i was to buy the Genuine one and installed it, what if i need to reformat my computer again, will that Genuine XP disk still allow me to get the updates that i need? will Microsoft detect my version of windows to be genuine after i reformat? so asking the same question, does it allow me to install Windows more than once on a single computer but also seeing it as genuine?

Mac

Re: I have Question
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2005, 10:58:26 AM »
Shouldn't be a problem. A new XP CD will have SP2 already on it, or if not, you can slipstream SP2 and burn a new CD before installing.

To save a lot of trouble when formatting it is better to make a drive image so that you can restore easily.

I use TeraByte Unlimited's Image for Windows and Image for DOS to make and restore drive images which saves me a lot of work doing re-installs.

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2005, 05:34:49 PM »
...what if i need to reformat my computer again, will that Genuine XP disk still allow me to get the updates that i need? will Microsoft detect my version of windows to be genuine after i reformat? so asking the same question, does it allow me to install Windows more than once on a single computer but also seeing it as genuine?

Yes to both questions:

Reformatting will erase any vestiges of the previous operating system, so you will not have a problem as long as the XP CD you use to install the OS is a legal one.  

The Microsoft registration website checks to see that the hardware is mostly the same each time you register the OS.  As long as you have not made too great a change in the hardware (such as changing the motherboard) you should have no problem registering the OS if you need to reinstall.  

If you reinstall without reformatting after 30 days, you will be required to register immediately (you will not receive another 30-day grace period).

Regards,
Doc
« Last Edit: August 04, 2005, 05:45:19 PM by pcdoc4christ »

Computer_Commando

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2005, 05:41:28 PM »
since windows has released that thing, WGA...

WPA-Windows Product Activation

2k dummy

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2005, 06:36:26 PM »
Should you want to report the source of the pirated copy, contact Microsoft. They have a program in which they will give you absolutely free a copy of XP home for reporting the source of the piracy.

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2005, 07:11:55 PM »
    Crunk.....  There is another issue going on now with Microsoft .........called Windows Genuine Advantage .......
    Now when you go to the Update page ........your system will be scanned to see if there are any updates available ...if there are ....you will asked to allow a check to see if you have genuine software running ......... However there is a glitch in something .........because now if it sees OEM software ...even if it is completely legal .........It will display VALIDATION FAILURE.......Invalid Product Key .......the result is not being able to D/l updates ........  ( I know because I spent 3 hours on the phone yesterday getting to the bottom of it .) I have been assured that microsoft are aware of the issue and according to Emails I have received from them ......they hope to have it corrected this week. There is a work around .

dl65  ::)
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2005, 07:49:26 PM »
    Thanks for the correction, commando.  Guess i've got work on the brain (helping too many customers with their software registration since i started working tech support for a software company)!

LOL

:D
    « Last Edit: August 04, 2005, 07:50:10 PM by pcdoc4christ »

Mac

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2005, 01:47:59 AM »
    WPA-Windows Product Activation

WGA = Windows Genuine Advantage  ;)