Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: trying to save paper/ink when printing  (Read 2965 times)

beachguy

Topic Starter

Beginner

trying to save paper/ink when printing
    « on: March 08, 2011, 08:51:59 AM »
    Hi ,  when printing something, is there a way to eliminate the pages that print just an URL at the top of the page, or a 1/2 or whole page of domain addresses?  This... much of the the time amounts to little more than a waste of ink and whole sheets of paper. Is there a way or a program that can eliminate these extra pages that are not really needed when printing?

Thanks,
    beachguy

truenorth

Guru

Re: trying to save paper/ink when printing
      « Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 09:52:06 AM »
      It is NOT possible to use any internal "program" to automatically do what you want. However there can be ways to achieve it. Some pages offer a "print version" they often will print only the text of the article. You can verify that it has reduced the print operation to achieve your objective by selecting "print preview" before actually printing. It may or may not reduce it to the degree you seek. Another method is to scan only the portion you want to print and do either a "control P" command from your keyboard with the portion to be printed "highlighted". You can also define the area to be printed by a program that allows saving a portion of the desktop and then saving it and printing from the  saved location. truenorth

Salmon Trout

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011, 10:24:56 AM »
      I always use print preview and scroll up and down and choose which page or pages I actually want to print;  also I play around with scaling, page setup, margins etc to get as much of what I want to print, on as few pages as possible. The best way to save ink (toner in my case) is to think carefully whether you actually do need to print at all. It is amazing how much you don't really need to print.

soybean

Genius
      • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #3 on: March 08, 2011, 10:40:43 AM »
      Usually, invoking the Print command gives you the option to print the "selected" portion of your source document.  In other words, highlight the portion you want to print and then limit your printing to that portion.

And, along with what Salmon Trout's comments about thinking carefully about whether you really need to print something, you might install a PDF conversion program such as PrimoPDF or CutePDF and then "print" your document to a PDF file.  Then, you can view it using a PDF reader such as Adobe Reader or Foxit Reader.  Alternatively, you could do a screen capture and save the capture as an image file (.jpg, .gif, etc.). 

Salmon Trout

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2011, 10:42:43 AM »
      Other steps you can take are booklet and duplex (manual or automatic) printing

Salmon Trout

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2011, 10:46:02 AM »
      I have to admit that I am much more careful about the toner and paper I have to pay for at home, than the stuff my employer pays for where I work.

beachguy

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2011, 05:04:09 PM »
        Thanks to everyone who answered this. I will try the suggestions given.
        beachguy.