Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: External HDD problems  (Read 2523 times)

Redcaa

Topic Starter

Intermediate

• [Insert Personal Text]
    • Experience: Beginner
    External HDD problems
    « on: November 26, 2010, 04:38:02 PM »
    I have a 500gb Maxtor Basics hdd. It's meant to be backup for my PC. Recently it stopped working on my desktop which runs Windows XP (H/E SP3) but works on my laptop running Windows7 (H/P). I have no idea why it works on 7 but not on XP. This happened after the HDD was corrupted and fixed with chkdsk /r.

On XP it says that the HDD is corrupted and unreadable. I tried chkdsk /r /f but it didn't work. It seems that windows says that there isn't anything wrong with the HDD but I still can't open it.

I've used the HDD with the desktop several a times before, so this is quite unexpected. So what can I do to fix this?

Thanks for suggestions :)

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: External HDD problems
    « Reply #1 on: November 26, 2010, 05:18:52 PM »
    From the history you gave, it is more likely a hardware problem.
    The issue is not a problem cause by having two different OS.
    It is then hardware.
    Your laptop is more forgiving.

Redcaa

Topic Starter

Intermediate

• [Insert Personal Text]
      « Reply #2 on: November 26, 2010, 05:39:56 PM »
      Ahh, so Windows7 is able to work even with this hardware problem, where as XP can't? Is there anything I could do to the Desktop so it too could run the HDD.

However im pretty sure that it isn't a hardware problem, it's been working for a while, it's only been a few months but still, it could happen. Im just hopping that it hasn't had happen.

Oh I didn't mention. Around a week before the HDD suddenly got corrupted. I mean suddenly. I wasn't able to find out why it got corrupted but I managed to get it fixed with chkdsk /r on the laptop (W/7). A day after when I plugged the HDD in to the Desktop it didn't work. Could be something with me doing Chkdsk on the laptop and not doing it on the desktop? Chkdsk says there isn't any problems and no bad sectors either.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: November 26, 2010, 08:17:17 PM »
      Oh I didn't mention. Around a week before the HDD suddenly got corrupted. I mean suddenly. I wasn't able to find out why it got corrupted but I managed to get it fixed with chkdsk /r on the laptop (W/7). A day after when I plugged the HDD in to the Desktop it didn't work. Could be something with me doing Chkdsk on the laptop and not doing it on the desktop? Chkdsk says there isn't any problems and no bad sectors either.
      OHHH
      My previous comment was base on the idea tat no upstream changes were made to the HDD by a newer OS. That makes a difference.

I don't know how to fix this problem Do you have some way to backup your data?
      Quite frankly, if it were me, I would buy another drive, copy my stuff to the new drive, And wipe the old drive clean and re format it with XP.m Then take it back and ask for a refund. Statistically, it is more likely there is a problem with the drive anyway. Even if causal evidence points to Windows 7. There have be a number of premature failures on external HDDs in the past few months.

JJ 3000

Egghead
      • Experience: Familiar
      « Reply #4 on: November 27, 2010, 12:51:29 AM »
      1. Back up all of the data on the drive.

2. Run SeaTools for Windows. This will check the drive. Get it here:

http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.jsp?locale=en-US&name=SeaTools&vgnextoid=720bd20cacdec010VgnVCM100000dd04090aRCRD

Save a Life!
      Adopt a homeless pet.
      http://www.petfinder.com/

Redcaa

Topic Starter

Intermediate

• [Insert Personal Text]
        « Reply #5 on: November 27, 2010, 10:26:39 AM »
        About backing up. Since my HDD works on the laptop I transferred all the data to the laptop but im also having permission issues with Windows7 so I can't copy and paste certain files, windows 7 says that I don't have admin permission to edit these files. I've tried pretty much everything to try get it sorted. I did that properties, advanced, permission setting thing, I've take control but nothing seems to work. I might run SeaTools  as said.

And if it still doesn't work I think I still have a warranty, might just give it back. Stupid Maxtors, pfft.

Thanks Geek and JJ. I'll post the results of SeaTools a bit later.